• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Police Package PCM Differences, anyone know?

boomhauer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, does anyone know what the differences are between the Police Package PCM and the "Regular" PCM? General knowledge is good but i'm most concerned with year model 1996. First hand knowledge would be great, assumptions...well i have a few as well but will wait for actual gurus in the know. Thanks for all help! -B

I see no mention of a Police-package specific PCM in any XJ parts manual or FSM that I have. There is an ECM for 1996, part 5604 3202, listed for Police models; however, it seems that it's only different in making allowances for the extended idle and possibly a couple other things that the Police package called for. Otherwise, just about all the differences I find are merely electrical ones.

Timber said:
I see no mention of a Police-package specific PCM in any XJ parts manual or FSM that I have. There is an ECM for 1996, part 5604 3202, listed for Police models; however, it seems that it's only different in making allowances for the extended idle and possibly a couple other things that the Police package called for. Otherwise, just about all the differences I find are merely electrical ones.

OOPS! Yeah i have the same part #, guess me eyes could use a tune-up too! I'm sorry, i could've swore it said PCM in my FSM...now where'd that beer go? I'll check again just to make sure that yes, i am an idiot. thanks.

boomhauer said:
OOPS! Yeah i have the same part #, guess me eyes could use a tune-up too! I'm sorry, i could've swore it said PCM in my FSM...now where'd that beer go? I'll check again just to make sure that yes, i am an idiot. thanks.

Yes, i am going blind, thanks for the correction.

I recall reading somewhere that when the California Highway Patrol first adopted the Mustang GTs, they had to add some shielding to the ECU and wiring to keep the radios from causing problems. Maybe something similar?...........Hans

I know we aren't supposed to post from FSM's, but I do have a very handy, very thick book about my 1999 xj that may or may not be a FSM (who knows? =) )that mentions that the police packages have an extended (higher idle) switch (not unlike the power/comfort switch on early modle xj's trannys) that is supposed to allow the jeep to circulate fluids and cool better during extended periods of idle. it's gonna take me a bit to find the rest of the information on them, but that's all i recall at the moment. I'll see if my magic book has any other info in it and will post if it does.

I think it's that you're not supposed to POST FSM's - some people were doing so, and posting an FSM in original and in any level of entirety violates copyright law - posting information that was obtained from an FSM - but paraphrased in posting - falls under "fair use," and is actually protected by law. This is why I don't mind posting the "short form" of anything when requested - since I'm not posting scans, and I paraphrase (and usually condense as well...) it's not an issue.

I'm fairly sure the "Police" SBEC is going to be shielded against RFI from all the radios and the vehicle repeater - but I think the electronics are the same (although I'd have to check my late-model FSMs to be sure...)

5-90

53guy said:
mentions that the police packages have an extended (higher idle) switch (not unlike the power/comfort switch on early modle xj's trannys) that is supposed to allow the jeep to circulate fluids and cool better during extended periods of idle.

If you do a search, someone posted on this feature not too long ago - it's not police PCM specific.

IIRC, the wiring diagram basically showed 1 pin on the PCM that is grounded out when the switch is used. Could be done with any PCM and any switch.

Also I beleave that the speed limiter is removed also. However I think it is just a matter of flashing the normal PCM. I can only find four ECMs for a 96 two for the 2.4ltr, and two for the 4.0ltr. One being for the Manual tranny, one for the auto. My 2000 comes up with eight, four for each moter. The differences being man/auto, and Cali/Federal.

Last edited:
The only difference I have noticed in mine is that I have electrical that others do not. But it does go fast when i want it to. I am sure any 4.0L 2wd manual can do a buck ten plus in a few very short miles, maybe less than 1 and I am there from standing still. Never clocked it though, and its winterish for a few more months so I don't wanna push it.

Back