• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 4.0 Question

coreys

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ 4.0 I purchased recently. I decided to clean the throttle body and replace the valve cover gasket today. What a mess. The throttle body was a little gunked up but the head and valve cover was gunked up worse that I have ever seen. The engine runs great. I would have never guessed that the head would be so dirty.

My question is what should I do in this situation? Pull the head and oil pan and clean them or start thinking of an engine rebuild.

Thanks,
Corey

coreys said:
I have a 88 XJ 4.0 I purchased recently. I decided to clean the throttle body and replace the valve cover gasket today. What a mess. The throttle body was a little gunked up but the head and valve cover was gunked up worse that I have ever seen. The engine runs great. I would have never guessed that the head would be so dirty.

My question is what should I do in this situation? Pull the head and oil pan and clean them or start thinking of an engine rebuild.

Thanks,
Corey

I'd just clean the valve cover out, put it back on and call it done. If it runs great, why mess with it? :)

I agree as above- clean out the valve cover, and do a few oil changes at short intervals. If you go to synthetic oil, it will do a much better job of cleaning up the engine, gently. Those "engine flush" chemical could move more junk at once than would be healthy. The synthetic oil approach worked on my daughter's 1990- when I got around to fixing the valve cover leak, the inside of the valve cover and the top of the engine looked good- nothing worth any additional cleaning.

Back