• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portal Axles?

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
Exactly what is a portal axle? From what I 've heard its pretty state of the art. But I have no clue what it is.

Portal axle being state of the art? <grin>I don't think so, Tim! </grin> They've been around for years.

The usual run-of-the-mill axles have the axle shaft running in the axis as the wheel, i.e. the wheels bolts directly to it.

In a portal axle, there is a gearbox out at the end of the axle tube. The axle turns a gear in the top of the box, which drives a gear (usually larger geting additional reduction) that has a hub on the outside.

So, what does this mean in English? The axles (and by extension, diff) get mounted higher in a portal than in a standard axle. You get more ground clearance, and usually some killer gears. Unimog axles are the best known, although Volvo has a few that are lighter.

Dad's harvester tractor back home has a goofy portal axle setup; he bought it in 1967.

portal.gif

Rev

Peterson's 4-wheel had a article on a company that's making a 9" hybrid portal for Hummers. Does anyone know if they'll be making them in shorter lengths for smaller width rigs?

O Ok yeah I have a set of those n my new Holland Tractor. Thanks for clearing up my confusion

Centrevillemx said:
O Ok yeah I have a set of those n my new Holland Tractor. Thanks for clearing up my confusion

So ... I guess you have your winter swap project all lined up, right? :jester:

Eagle, Could that be Done? I came down hard on a rock with that tractor(weighing 5000+ lbs) right on the pumpkin and all it did was smile. Other than the fact that it is desinged to be run at a max of 15 miles per hour It handles big tires and heavy loads really well. One of the trucks In the Four Wheeler Mags Top Truck Challenge had those(3/4 ton I believe) and it was running 52's!
With a bolt change on the Hub I think it could work......

Hell, VW buses prior to '68 all had portal axles. Hehe, new hi-tech yeah right. =)

Back