• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99XJ Problems...Common?

Deadbeat Son

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum, (first post) and am having some problems with my 99 XJ. It's a 4.0/5spd model. I have 63k miles on the odo, and the problems are as follows.

1. Check engine light on
2. AC inoperable (the clutch doesn't engage when switched on. pully spins fine, freon is full.)
3. Grinding noise from my 8.25" rear diff when accellerating from a stop, especially while turning.

Are any of these common problems with the XJ? If so, any quick fixes for any of these?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-JP

I wouldn't characterize any of those as "common" problems. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has encountered them ... but not frequent.

Step one is to go somewhere and have your OBD codes read. If the check engine light is one, there should be a fault code stored in the computer. The problem is, if it was set by an intermittant fault the code will clear after 5 normal start-run-stop cycles, but the light won't self-clear for several more cycles.

The light may even be related to the a/c fault.

For the axle grumbling, I'd say first check rear brakes, second check rear drive shaft u-joints, and if those are good then think about axle bearings.

One thing I forgot to admit: I'm horribly lazy, and the check engine light has been on since appx 48k miles. (Thanksgiving day...) As for the AC, I'm not sure when the problem happened, as I didn't need it until the summer. When I tried to use it, no luck. I'll check out the recommendations for the grinding sound.

Thanks!

-JP

How do you know the A/C system is to proper capacity? Just because you hit the shrader valve and freon escaped? Not enough of an indicator by itself. Also the PDC controls A/C operation as well as about everything else on your Jeep. I suspect the ck engine light might relate.

Do what eagle said on the rear end noise. Make sure the lube is to proper level also.

Is not good to ignore the ck engine lt on these later vehicles. Is a bummer cannot retrieve codes without a scanner '98+ but is the cost of the increasingly more complicated vehicle computers!!

Judd W. VA said:
How do you know the A/C system is to proper capacity?

Because I tried to have it charged, and it didn't need it. Thanks for the other info! I plan to get it in the shop ASAP.

-JP

Judd W. VA said:
Is a bummer cannot retrieve codes without a scanner '98+ but is the cost of the increasingly more complicated vehicle computers!!

This is a bummer indeed, but the major parts chains have responded by now offering a free service to hook up a scanner and read the codes for you. That's probably easier and more accurate than flipping the key and trying to count blinks, plus the store has a book to tell you what the code means (sort of -- I was at an Advance two days ago when one of the guys pulled a code for a customer. He told him what the book said, but it was obvious he had no clue what that related to on the vehicle.)

You can also buy OBD-2 code readers (I won't call them "scanners") for as little as $50. Has anyone tried one of those cheapie ones? Do they work?

I would say the noise your hearing the rear axle is the bearings. This happened to me for a few days in until they let go taking the r&p with it. So have that checked out. Also, the ac system should be run for a few mins throughout the year to oil the system. But have the computer checked out like Eagle said. Juice

Go to Autozone and get your codes read for free...check the Maxi Fuse under the hood (pass side) for your AC

TOZOVR said:
Go to Autozone and get your codes read for free...check the Maxi Fuse under the hood (pass side) for your AC

Thanks for the info. The fuses are good (checked with a DMM, not just visually.)

-JP

I noticed a couple of postings here in the last week or two from S calif that some of the parts houses won't read the diags out, too many repair shops were complaining. True or false, don't know but I may just stop in the local AZ and ask, see what their take on it is but then I live in rural PA...

Rich,

I personally have not experienced this problem, but have heard the same thing from several Jeep friends here in San Diego that the auto parts stores have stopped reading the DRB codes.
As for why the AC might not come on, but it was checked to have a sufficient charge ?????? How did they check the charge if the compressor does not come on ???? Did they bypass the low pressure cutout switch or check continuity across and make that determination ???
Jumper the connector wires that go to the pressure switch and see if the compressor clutch energizes !!! Might be a bad pressure switch. Other wise have the system pressure rechecked.
The Check Engine light could be the A/C system throwing a code !!
Check the rear brakes for dragging on the drum and axle bearings for the grumbling noises.

Back