• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back axle has shifted HELP

jeepster3482

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000xj sport with a 3" BDS adda leaf lift with 33 BFG A/T i just went in for an alignment and they said that my back axle was cocked to the side i know that it is the right side that is moved but i dont know how to fix it can anyone give me some ideas?

Something similar happened to me a few months ago on my '88... somehow, my center pin sheared off and caused the axle to shift backward on one side...

You need to check that center pin in the middle of your leaf packs and make sure that it's not sheared off, bent, out of its pocket, etc...

The center pin sits in a hole on the leaf spring perch on each side of your rear axle. You'll need to raise your Jeep, support the uni-frame on jack stands... support your axle with a floor jack and remove the u-bolts from your leaf springs. Once they're free, lower the jack under the axle so you can inspect your center pin underneat your leafs. Also check to make sure your spring perch and center pin hole are as they should be.

Unless your springs or your U-Bolts are seriously fubar... I couldn't image what else would cause your axle to shift.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If no accidents then is probably just a simple center pin, either the head sheared off or the ubolts loosened causing the center pin to come unseated from the perch.

jeepster3482 said:
i have a 2000xj sport with a 3" BDS adda leaf lift with 33 BFG A/T i just went in for an alignment and they said that my back axle was cocked to the side i know that it is the right side that is moved but i dont know how to fix it can anyone give me some ideas?

Couldn,t they fix it there ? You will need a C-clamp to hold the spring pack together when you drop the axle down to replace the pin.you may need a come-a-long to move the axle into the correct position when you put it back together.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Couldn,t they fix it there ? You will need a C-clamp to hold the spring pack together when you drop the axle down to replace the pin.you may need a come-a-long to move the axle into the correct position when you put it back together.
Wayne

If the axle is far enough off that you need a come-a-long to move it back into position... there's something seriously wrong. I don't think the U-Bolts even being extremely loose would allow it to move THAT far out of position.

Just check the center pin. Go from there.

TXHillsboy said:
If the axle is far enough off that you need a come-a-long to move it back into position... there's something seriously wrong. I don't think the U-Bolts even being extremely loose would allow it to move THAT far out of position.

Just check the center pin. Go from there.
That was after he dropped the axle to replace the pin.The U-bolts will be removed when that happens.
Wayne

I've done this a few times, done complete swaps front and rear and have NEVER needed anything other than a little elbow grease... Put that thing back on the jack, raise it up to the bottom of the springs and just wiggle it a little and that center pin will fall right in the hole...

Stop confusing this poor guy. This is REALLY a simple look/see/fix job. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, even for someone who's never done it before. Especially on an XJ this new... probably won't even have to strain to loosen the U-Bolts...

Last edited:
Back