• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is the bolt count?

ttu.or

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering what is the bolt count on the ring gear on a 10 bolt chevy and also the 14 bolt semi floater axle? i think i might have a aftermarket junk yard locker. thanks for the help

ttu.or said:
i was wondering what is the bolt count on the ring gear on a 10 bolt chevy and also the 14 bolt semi floater axle? i think i might have a aftermarket junk yard locker. thanks for the help
Trick question? A 10-bolt has 10 ring gear bolts, but not all 10-bolt rear ends are created equal. A S-10 10-bolt will usually have a 7.5" ring gear, while a full sized will usually have a 8.5" ring gear. There are exceptions, my ZR2 has the 8.5" with an Eaton posi and a 3.73 gear. I don't know much about the 14-bolts, so I'll defer that one to others.

um...

GM axles are named for the bolt count that holds the ring gear to the carrier...

10 bolt - 10 ring gear bolts
12 bolt - 12 ring gear bolts
14 bolt - 14 ring gear bolts...

but be warned - there are a few different ring gear sizes for each one...

sorry for not giving adequate info. i was looking at a locker on ebay for really cheap but the guy has no clue as to what 1/2 ton axle it is out of he just knows it came from his 91 z71. those truck came with either a 14 bolt semi floater or a 10 bolt.

Z71s are only a 1/2 ton setup, if so its a 10 bolt. And if its a factory locker, its a GOV-BOMB. They suck, most dont like them and they dont hold up well because they shock load them selves when a tire spins. I drove one in the snow once, and you cna feel it lock and unlocking. Acts weird. Definatly would pass.

Back