• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a good place to have my Cherokee repaired

Lilian

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

I was referred here by a nice member of the ilovejeeps.com forum and am very grateful to have found this site.

I'm a relative newbie to all things Jeep but am looking forward to learning more and also eventually modifying my 1997 Cherokee, once I can actually afford it.

However, right now my poor car is in dire need of a tune-up, but I've had a couple bad experiences where folks were just not able to find what exactly is wrong.

Does anyone know of a good place in the West L.A./Santa Monica area (or even further away if need be) that works on Jeeps? I don't want to get ripped off by a dealership again and end up with a car that's been looked over still not running properly.

Thanks!

I don't realy ahve a place for you to go but there is a lot of good information in the OEM Tech section that if you use the SEARCH function properly, you can pretty much find fixes for almost all known issues.

Regardless, good luck.

Welcome to the goup!

Unfortunately, I can't offer a place either as I am not familiar with that area. What I can do though is tell you that there are a lot of great folks in this group that may be able to help you. They can teach you about your Jeep and save you money in the process.

What are some of your Jeeps' problems? Maybe it's something that one of us have experienced and already know the fix.

There are guys here that are near your area that I am sure will chime in.

Again, welcome.

I'm down in Costa Mesa if you don't mind driving I guess I could put together a work on your Jeep Sat or something. I can show you how to do it yourself and if you wanted to get you factory parts (at my cost).

Mike R

MJR said:
I'm down in Costa Mesa if you don't mind driving I guess I could put together a work on your Jeep Sat or something. I can show you how to do it yourself and if you wanted to get you factory parts (at my cost).

Mike R

No thats an offer I wouldn't refuse.

gcurtis said:
When you are there, you must address him as "King", though. He seems to like it.
I thought it was JEEPGOD. hasta

You have a tech problem... With all the Jeeps he works on.... he has probably seen the problem before.
Bring some MOUNTAIN DEW as a bribe...... haha
IF you need a repair part.... it probably in his garage..... SOMEWHERES !!!

Charles

king.. god.. doctor.. lots of hats to wear.

I'll 2nd..3rd.. 5th..whatever.. MJR has it going on when it comes to jeep repair. I'm fairly sure if he sneezed hard a factory service manual would appear on the ground in front of him.

cal said:
I'm fairly sure if he sneezed hard a factory service manual would appear on the ground in front of him.

Nah that's what I have a computer and laptop one for. :D

Mike R

Is there a full moon out?

A new user just asked a simple question, only got one politely worded suggestion to search, then an offer for advice and discounted parts from an experienced mechanic with mutiple references from other users.

I've got this warm-fuzzy/surreal feeling. :)

Give it time. I am sure I'm not the only feeling a level of asshole-ness building up inside ;)

BruteXJ said:
Is there a full moon out?

A new user just asked a simple question, only got one politely worded suggestion to search, then an offer for advice and discounted parts from an experienced mechanic with mutiple references from other users.

I've got this warm-fuzzy/surreal feeling. :)

You see...all these guys think Lilian is a girl. That's why they're being so nice. His name is actually Lil' Ian.

Just kidding. :laugh3: The SoCal guys are really cool (for the most part). And MJR is the man to see (he also likes Bass and Newcastle).

Hi again everyone!

Sorry to get back to this so late, and thanks for all the replies (and kind offers!). :)

I'm not very talented when it comes to mechanical things, and since it's not only a private car but also used for business and expenses are written off, I'd prefer to find a shop I can take it to for tune-ups and repairs.

The problem I'm having right now is that the poor thing pings like crazy driving uphill, even when I'm using premium grade fuel instead of regular, which fixed the problem for a while. When I first got it 2 1/2 years ago, the regular worked fine. I've taken it to an independent place and a Jeep dealer and neither found just what exactly is wrong.

I'm glad to have found this place tho, you folks seem like a bunch of really nice folks and I'm sure I'll pester you with another question sooner or later. ;)

Lilian said:
Hi again everyone!

Sorry to get back to this so late, and thanks for all the replies (and kind offers!). :)

I'm not very talented when it comes to mechanical things, and since it's not only a private car but also used for business and expenses are written off, I'd prefer to find a shop I can take it to for tune-ups and repairs.

MJR is a dealership mechanic. he can work on it on the record at work or off the record at home, but he's the best you will find on the west coast.

Back