• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax repair possible?

Rem870XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got my c-clips out and removed the locker tonight. 3 of the 4 harden pins that keep the two center sections from spinning are sheared off from the previous owner. I guess this is what I get for buying used but I can't afford new stuff and I thought everything was ok. Have any of you ever tried to drill these out? I know that the steel this harder than a bulls prick but if I could get them out and not have to buy the center sections I would be in luck. I have a picture below of what I am talking about. Thanks for any help!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/bville870/100_0876.jpg

Id try heating up the locker with a torch a little bit then banging it against something to try to knock those pins out. You could also try a drillbit and some easy-outs, but its hardened steel and would be a major pain to drill.

If all else fails, send it back to powertrax and have them fix it.

Rem870XJ said:
Do ya think powertrax will fix it? I don't know anything about the company as far as repair and such. Thanks Man

They will sell you new parts, I broke one of the paddles on a no-slip, and they sold me a replacement.

I think youd be surprized....i bought a used one and had some problems with it. Called their tech support, told them my problem and i had a new locker within a couple weeks at their cost.

use an arc welder and short the rod to the pin then pull.
drill a pin hole on the other side and use a roll pin punch to drive it out.
bang it against a piece of brass or copper. they will strike hard but not mar or damage the locker.
try a small pilot hole into the broken pin the step up to a larger size and drill with alot of pressure, it might spin then come out.

Rawbrown said:
use an arc welder and short the rod to the pin then pull.
drill a pin hole on the other side and use a roll pin punch to drive it out.
bang it against a piece of brass or copper. they will strike hard but not mar or damage the locker.
try a small pilot hole into the broken pin the step up to a larger size and drill with alot of pressure, it might spin then come out.

Another variation along the lines that RawB sugeested is to;
Weld a nipple on the broken pin, and build it up enuf that you can get vise grips on it.
Get some cold water in a container snow or through the grips in the beer freezer for a while. Heat the hell out of the pin and nipple.grip the nipple (all this dirty talk) with the cold VG's and twist back and forth. Keep repeating the heat and cold grips routine and she'll come out.

Rem870XJ said:
Do ya think powertrax will fix it? I don't know anything about the company as far as repair and such. Thanks Man

they didn't for me.....but then again, i really didn't expect them to

DSC07335.JPG

i decided to get a new aussie instead of buying the parts to fix it

you mean the shear pins on the locker sheared off like they are designed to do?

thats what theyre there for, to shear off when over torqued or shock loaded.

all the makers of those lunch box lockers sell replacement shear pins and springs for the lockers

send it to me... I'll fix it.

oh dear god Cal,
Don't make me beat you! :twak:
don't you know I can fix anything... its just my preference to only work on drivetrain stuff. in fact, mainly axles!

Frank Z said:
They still don't make one for an 8.25" though. Not sure what axle you have...
Not yet.... Here's the response I got from them just today about it.

"Yes there will be an Aussie Locker 8.25 29 spline. We had hoped for it by last fall, but we are just running late in our new product development. Our craftsmen and engineers in Australia are not part of a big company, so they pull double duty in the factory and we have been installing a lot of new production equipment and new computer based manufacturing processes over the past 8 months. This had delayed the new products beyond our forecast. We will be announcing on the various bbs as soon as we have a schedule on the 8.25 Aussie Locker."

Sorry for hijacking.

Timber said:
Not yet.... Here's the response I got from them just today about it.

"Yes there will be an Aussie Locker 8.25 29 spline. We had hoped for it by last fall, but we are just running late in our new product development. Our craftsmen and engineers in Australia are not part of a big company, so they pull double duty in the factory and we have been installing a lot of new production equipment and new computer based manufacturing processes over the past 8 months. This had delayed the new products beyond our forecast. We will be announcing on the various bbs as soon as we have a schedule on the 8.25 Aussie Locker."

Sorry for hijacking.
Don't hold your breath, though! That's the same answer they gave me when I inquired about a Toyota V6 version about 2 yrs ago. Good product, though........Hans

Back