• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

78 , 79 hp 44 ?

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
ok , got two of these things , want to use my current lift , I cant find any older stuff , what are my options , i know i could retube to shorten is there any other way i can around the stupid cast mounts . i want to use waggy shafts or similiar . any ideas

I am working on a 79 right now, I will be leaving it full width. I am contouring my mounts around the cast using box steel. I have a shop that properly preheat and weld to the cast.

This is what I am doing, hope it helps.

Everyone remembers Big Red? Yes I installed his front axle full width. I used the RE kit. and modified it. then I did a bunch of extra gusseting and stuff. still holding AFAIK.

So you used the welded over the cast mounts rawbrown?========Kyle

Rawbrown said:
Everyone remembers Big Red? Yes I installed his front axle full width. I used the RE kit. and modified it. then I did a bunch of extra gusseting and stuff. still holding AFAIK.

Ryan,
He's got the standard 1/2 ton 44 with the cast in "C" wedges. It's not the same as what Troy had.

That axle is pretty much worthless unless you're going to keep the ford style suspension. I've narrowed one to accept an EB long side shaft, but kept the "C" wedges & went with lengthened ford arms. Trying to adapt that axle to accept the stock style XJ arms would be a complete waist of time. IMO it would be much easier to fab up a crossmember & go with what you've got. I prefer the ford style radius arm anyhoo & it's worked very well for me.

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Ryan,
He's got the standard 1/2 ton 44 with the cast in "C" wedges. It's not the same as what Troy had.

That axle is pretty much worthless unless you're going to keep the ford style suspension. I've narrowed one to accept an EB long side shaft, but kept the "C" wedges & went with lengthened ford arms. Trying to adapt that axle to accept the stock style XJ arms would be a complete waist of time. IMO it would be much easier to fab up a crossmember & go with what you've got. I prefer the ford style radius arm anyhoo & it's worked very well for me.

Matt

Are you running the factory ford arms? I thought you had the EB 44?

rupert said:
ok , got two of these things , want to use my current lift , I cant find any older stuff , what are my options , i know i could retube to shorten is there any other way i can around the stupid cast mounts . i want to use waggy shafts or similiar . any ideas

retube it and yoiu can run any suspension you want

ooops, forgot that detail. Yes troy had a camper special with a cast into the housing leaf spring pad. it still was alot of trick work to get it all good and strong.

that axle with the cast c-bushing mounts are easy to deal with. I have 3 sitting here that I had Currie retube for me. they will set them up for Waggoneer specs and then you can use off the shelf inner CrMo shafts. the RE bracketry will weld right up. doing that this weekend to one of them.

oh, and I do not weld to cast... ANYTHING. its just not worth it.

What is, the retube? naw its not that bad.
compare it to the cost of a new housing.
price it out. take a wrecking yard D44 from a bronco. Complete. retube it and run Waggoneer inners. add in the RE bracktry and you have a high pinion D44 front axle with lockout hubs... What, the D44 didn't come iwth hubs from the wrecking yard? no biggie, theyre not that expensive....
and there you have a basic XJ D44.
then from there you can add gears, lockers, high steer (Dedenbear is coming out with a D44 high steer knuckle that fits the ford D44), heavy duty cover and whatever other bells and whistles that you want to add.
the wrecked D44 should at least have all the brakes and stuff.
now price it another way.

Check out my full width build up........It's welded to the cast material
You just have to have a welder who knows how to weld to cast

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35649&page=2&pp=20
xjfront441.jpg

Back