• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 4.0L ecu M/T

drwood1

NAXJA Forum User
In need of a ecu for 1990 M/T cherokee. Does anyone know how to tell what computer # should have been in my particular xj? I had mecanic put on diagnostic computer to tell me part of my ecu was dust. I then pulled computer and called up Autozone. The numbers I read him off of my computer are not the one his books calls for. He tried crossing over the number I gave him and it will not cross. Does anyone know if these computers have to be number specific, or if one or more part #s are listed in a parts stores books, will they work as well? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. The two #'s for 90 model M/T are 53005429 or 53007470. The computer I pulled has a # of 56006077 which I have not found listed for any xj.

As I recall, Hollander's interchange (the one that shops use) gives with 1987-1990 4.0 ECU for M/T being the same. I'd have to check (I haven't coded that page yet,) but it sounds right - Hell, even the A/T ECU would probably work, since it's a divorced transmission controller anyhow.

5-90

I checked out ecudirect. It showed several possible part#'s. I guess I may have to dig in way deeper. I am not wanting to spend the bucks on a #that isn't goin to be the right one, and then have to eat the price of it. I was hoping for someone to have some hard notes on the one that would work for me. Any other help out there would be appreciated as well. I have no access to other ecu's other than buying new or remanned units. Once installed........it your ball!

drwood1 said:
I checked out ecudirect. It showed several possible part#'s. I guess I may have to dig in way deeper. I am not wanting to spend the bucks on a #that isn't goin to be the right one, and then have to eat the price of it. I was hoping for someone to have some hard notes on the one that would work for me. Any other help out there would be appreciated as well. I have no access to other ecu's other than buying new or remanned units. Once installed........it your ball!
Did you also see that you can send yours in for repair. I would email them your PN and see what they have to say.

Back