• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrong tranny model on 4x4?

gopking

NAXJA Forum User
I just looked at the tranny model on my '98 XJ 4x4 and it says its an 30-43LE. I thought the AW4 that came with the 4x4 models came with the 40-30LE. What gives????

i did some searching on the internet and found out that the factory accidently made 2 transmissions with the wrong tag on it. if you actually have one of those 2 you could probably sell it for like $10,000. they just as rare as those misprinted pennis.

just kidding. actually i did a search and could find anything other than they're both AW4's. are you just wondering, or do you actually have a problem??? if it works just drive it and don't worry about what it says.

no, i don't have a problem with the transmission. i was down there to find the return and feed lines and was looking at the plate on the side. i was under the impression that on 4wd models, they got the 40-30LE transmission. Does anybody know what the difference between the two is?

I don't recall which is which right now, but I've got an earlier 21-spline output version as well as the '96 23-spline version. That's going to be my guess until I can get back to my pics (or my garage) to verify which is which.

I think AW-4 is the Jeep corporate designation for the transmission in its Jeep configuration, but that it is essentially the same as the tranny that Aisin Warner calls a 40-30 LE, found on some toyota trucks, etc.

2wheeldrive transmission can you put a transfercase on it????

I have a 30-40LE transmisson & transfercase.Then in my 2wheeldrive i have a 30-43LE trans.. I have put the front axle and a dana 44 i found out of a 87XJ.

Back