• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 question

marcusguy

NAXJA Forum User
As I was putting my dana 30 back together last night, I didn't put the giant washer looking thing that presses in with the pinion depth shims back in. I measured its thickness and replaced it with the same thickness of shims. Looking back, it seems like it is some kind of splash shield or something for oil. My rear 44 doesn't have one, which is why I didn't put it back. When I punched out the forward most race (right behind the gear on the pinion), I beat the poor thing up bad and it wouldn't even fit back in.

Do I need to get another one of these things and put it back in before I install the axle or is it an unimportant piece?

Thanks
Marcus

Yeah -- what Mark said.

Just to clarify, the one I'm talking about isn't the one that spins with the pinion. It is the one pressed in behind the pinion race and is basically attached to the housing. Has a hole that is big enough for the pinion to slide through, but not touch. That's not the slinger... right?

It's this guy here (part 19A)

Thanks for the help guys,

marcus

I just took apart my D30 this evening and Know exactly what you are talking about. According to the FSM the piece you are talking about is a baffle. I assume that the purpose of it is to hold oil in the pinion so the bearings are in a bath of oil. The oil that is not "baffled" or held back to lube the pinion bearings flows out and gets slung back into the pumpkin for the cycle to start again.

I see it as important. You can be the first to see if its really needed or not.

AARON

Back