• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What will fit?

Flowers

NAXJA Forum User
I recently posted a question on the OEM forum about 2WD/2.5/Auto's. Some say they exist........ some they don't. Regardless of who is posting SPOBI, what other trannies, in the slushy flavor, will fit behind the 2.5? The tranny must be a 2WD model, or be able to convert to 2WD.

Flowers

Thee best MJ/XJ info source in the world and all I get is SPOBI from OneEye.

WTF, somebody on here has got to know what other auto trannies will bolt up to the 2.5

The 2.5L uses the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 2.8L GM V-6. It was designed that way so the two engines could share transmissions. Any tranny that will bolt up to the small GM blocks will work with the 2.5L.

Does that help at all?

odd...my mom's old 86 Waggy (fugly lil thing) was the 2.5 auto...it was slower than a deisel VW Van.

I'm sorry, it's a TH475 in the motorhomes. Spobi fixed :D

Tim, I completely forgot about the 2.8 being the same bolt pattern. I gave away a 700R not too long ago that had that very pattern :doh:

Eagle,

I think it was you that stated that in the past but someone else told me that was not true. That's is exciting information. Now if I can just find info on the 700R. Does it need a computer?

Isn't there some problem with finding a torque converter or flex plat that will work. Didn't Trail Blazer have that problem with his MJ.

No on the 700R that I'm aware of.

Later,
Lincoln

I recently discovered there are 2.5l, 2WD auto's. I'm assuming they're the 904. When I find out for sure I'll follow up.

87 4 cyl 2WD auto $1000

I looked at a 87 2wd 4 cyl MJ auto about a year ago - didn't drive it but they do exist! Anybody have a 87 FSM? that would tell you what trans was available; I'd guess a 904 - same as in the 2wd AMC cars (82 concord 4 & 6 cyls had 904's)

Beezil said:
go atlas or go motorhome.

Beetle,

We're talking transmissions on this thread, not transfer cases or motorhomes. Get you head out of your ass and go to another thread to post your worthless information.

Flowers

Where you located?

I saw some MJ's at the U-pull it last Saturday and they were 2wd. I could check and see if they are autos. The tranny in MJ's behind the 2.5 was a Torque Flight. Either 999 or 904 but I cannot remember wich. That damn Dxslexia always pops up at the least opertune times.

Are yoiu sure? My ex's had the power/normal switch on the dash for the tranny just like my 87 4.0L does.

Hers might have been an 88 MJ. It's been saveral years sense she sold it.

Keith

Ghost,

I'm in Illinois. If you have time next time your there, ask it they have any and what they cost.

Thank You,

Tim Flowers

Will do, I'll be out there either Friday or Saturday.

Back