• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is anyone running 31s with 3.07 gearing?

I really need new tires and shocks, and will soon be getting the RE 2" kit and 31" tires, but don't have the money for new gears at the moment. How much will it suck to drive with stock 3.07 gearing for a few weeks until I can afford to go to 4.10s?

Mambeu said:
I really need new tires and shocks, and will soon be getting the RE 2" kit and 31" tires, but don't have the money for new gears at the moment. How much will it suck to drive with stock 3.07 gearing for a few weeks until I can afford to go to 4.10s?
Iit sucked with 235's and 3.07's: uphill climbs were terrible. That doesn't mean that you can't drive it though.

sucks on the road, but doable. i drove like that for 2 years. i did wheel in moab with that setup, but didn't feel very comfortable doing it.

3.07's are perfectly fine for wheeling with 31's with the manual transmission if you are on a budget. I have done it for 1 1/2 years now and have never felt I didn't have enough power on a trail. 3.07s/31's are fine on the highway, you won't have a lot of passing power but cruising at 110-120 km will be perfectly fine. The only downside to those gears and tires is that your 4HI will be pretty much useless, in 4LO you will have all the power you could possibly need for the trails you would be doing with your chosen lift and tires. You will need to get higher gearing when you get bigger tires though (and you will.....it's only a matter of time :D)

Kevlar said:
3.07's are perfectly fine for wheeling with 31's with the manual transmission if you are on a budget. I have done it for 1 1/2 years now and have never felt I didn't have enough power on a trail. 3.07s/31's are fine on the highway, you won't have a lot of passing power but cruising at 110-120 km will be perfectly fine. The only downside to those gears and tires is that your 4HI will be pretty much useless, in 4LO you will have all the power you could possibly need for the trails you would be doing with your chosen lift and tires. You will need to get higher gearing when you get bigger tires though (and you will.....it's only a matter of time :D)

You are sure easy going aren't you?

It's not as bad as others with 35's and 3.55 gears with the auto tranny. You want to get lower gears for bigger tires (higher #). With the overdrive of the XJ trannies, lower gearing shouldn't be feared. Do it once and be done with it. If you think you want 33's, then get 4.56 or 4.88 gears rather than 4.10's which you will get rid of again to go deeper.

Troy

Kevlar said:
I wanna see the types of trails you're running if 3.07's and 4:1 with 31''s is perfect in your opinion.....

i am running a saggy old 3'' super lift with 31 10.5 wild country rvt's and have little to know problems for the last year when i bought the jeep and have had little to no problems so far plenty of power off roading and dd

bigmoon said:
i am running a saggy old 3'' super lift with 31 10.5 wild country rvt's and have little to know problems for the last year when i bought the jeep and have had little to no problems so far plenty of power off roading and dd

I ran 3.07's for a couple months, wasn't too bad. At least thats what I thought then put in 4.10s and wow what a difference.

I ran 31's with 3.07's for a year before moving up to 33's. Now not only do I never see 5th gear but they are TONS of fun to stop! Of course my front axle is already regeared lower and I have a new axle with matching gears and disc brakes on my workbench. Just need the time to get it under the jeep.

Seriously 31's were 'liveable' but not great. 33's are terrible. Go ahead and toss on the 31's and if you plan on wheelin it a lot that way regear it. If not live with it until you put the tires you want and regear it once. I knew I wanted 33's eventually so just waited and dealt with it.

Kejtar said:
I wanna see the types of trails you're running if 3.07's and 4:1 with 31''s is perfect in your opinion.....

No where in my post did I say they were were perfect, learn to read. They are fine for wheeling on a budget and for what he will most likely be doing with his 31's. Also he says he has "stock" gearing....which most likely (unless he got lucky and has a 44/8.25) means he has the 30/35 combo. Like most of the experienced members on this board I'm sure you probably wouldn't condone dropping a decent amoung of coin into an axles like the d35/d30 just to run 31's.

Big Red said:
You are sure easy going aren't you?

I don't really get what this comment has to do with anything? I have 4.56 gears with 31's, yet I'm still non-biased enough to tell someone that is concerned about wheeling on a budget that yes, 3.07s will work decently for what he wants to do.....does this make me "easygoing"?

on my MJ that had 30 X9.5 in fifth gear my speedo was reading 55, but I was realy doing 68. Beat the ticket, got it reduced to improper equipment. But that is the only problem I had. Also once you get to highway speeds 60-65 you can use fifth gear.

Patrick

Mambeu said:
It really, really sucks. After the new engine, header and filter, wasn't as bad, but still not good. But, I did what I had to until I could afford to do more. Now I am... shit, the light bulb just burned out

ChuckD said:
You can drive it and just stay out of OD, but as for wheeling it forget it.
Please...:rolleyes:

I wheel mine with 3.07s and 33's and it does just fine...its a little hard on your clutch when you need to go REALLY slow for doing any large obsticles, but its completely do-able.

Kevlar said:
They are fine for wheeling on a budget and for what he will most likely be doing with his 31's.
THere is a difference between fine and perfectly fine. And in either case I would not use word like fine: barely bearable is more like it unless we're talkin graded dirt road :D I saw someone attempt a semi hard trail on 3.07's with 32's and the amount of skinny pedal used was making everyone cringe and wait for broken parts.

Also he says he has "stock" gearing....which most likely (unless he got lucky and has a 44/8.25) means he has the 30/35 combo. Like most of the experienced members on this board I'm sure you probably wouldn't condone dropping a decent amoung of coin into an axles like the d35/d30 just to run 31's.
Was that ever a question? This is starting to sound like the 3.55's with 35's thread. As I said with 31's and 3.07's he will be able to drive but it will suck on inclines and on the trail. I see a dead clutch in near future :D

Anyways if you want to talk suggestions then talk junkyard axles which will give him 3.55's or 3.73's or 4.11's. But don't say that 3.07's are fine with 31's: they were barely adequate with 225's that the jeep came with and with 235's I had a bear of a time climbing out of hte LA basin.

Kevlar said:
No where in my post did I say they were were perfect, learn to read. They are fine for wheeling on a budget and for what he will most likely be doing with his 31's. Also he says he has "stock" gearing....which most likely (unless he got lucky and has a 44/8.25) means he has the 30/35 combo. Like most of the experienced members on this board I'm sure you probably wouldn't condone dropping a decent amoung of coin into an axles like the d35/d30 just to run 31's.

I don't really get what this comment has to do with anything? I have 4.56 gears with 31's, yet I'm still non-biased enough to tell someone that is concerned about wheeling on a budget that yes, 3.07s will work decently for what he wants to do.....does this make me "easygoing"?

That's cool. I was just saying that you are satified with stuff on a budget. I had 3.07's with a 5 speed in my 91' YJ on 33" Pro Comp MTs. I didn't like it that much, but it did o.k. until I got stuck in a mud pit and hydro locked my motor. It was fun winding up the RPMs with the manual, good times, now I have a lazy man's auto tranny. :laugh3:

Troy

Kejtar said:
I see a dead clutch in near future :D
That's why I can't afford gears -- I need to replace my clutch.

Kejtar said:
Anyways if you want to talk suggestions then talk junkyard axles which will give him 3.55's or 3.73's or 4.11's.
Would it be worth it to swap in a new D30/35 combo with 3.55s or 3.73s? My local pick-n-pull always has a few XJs; I suppose I could kill two birds with one stone and try to find a non-vacuum front axle as well.

Mambeu said:
That's why I can't afford gears -- I need to replace my clutch.

Would it be worth it to swap in a new D30/35 combo with 3.55s or 3.73s? My local pick-n-pull always has a few XJs; I suppose I could kill two birds with one stone and try to find a non-vacuum front axle as well.
For 3.55's look at xj's that have an 8.25. What do you have now? If you have a D35, consider getting a D35 with 4.11's that's a non c clip but do be careful as D35's are not too sturdy ;)

Kevlar said:

Now that’s just bad information, sorry but you "will not" have all the power you could possibly need for the trails
I know from experience that the 31 with 3.07 gear will suck all the power from your Jeep off road. But he is right you can do it. simply put you wont know what your missing if you never had it. with that said save you money and get gears as soon as you can, and I promise you will be enlightened the first time you wheel with the new gears (4.10 or lower) its a whole different game

Back