• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L Ax5 to 904 swap

Wheelin86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys not wanting to step on any toes, or beat a horse to death...but I really need some straight forward anwsers...I have found lots of info on here and other boards about doing a 2.5L Ax5 to a 904... the only problem is I don't know what the requirements are... if I am going to do this swap...do I need to find one that 4wd? and does it matter what year the torqueflite 904 comes from? and what does the total install take? Like I have said there has been many posts on here and other boards but no straight forward anwsers. If anybody has done the swap or knows where any articles are on it I would be very very thankful for your reply. Thanks

The TF904 was used in CJs from 1980-1986 only with the I4 engine. From 1980-1983, the 904 had a Chevy engine pattern for the "Iron Duke" 2.5L. From 1984-1986 the 904 had an AMC pattern for the AMC 2.5L. The 904 was also used from 1984-1986 in XJs and MJs with the 2.5L and 2.8L engine. I'm not sure when they started using the 909 with the lock-up torque converter.

Wheelin86XJ said:
great info but doesn't really help me with the swap...does that mean that I have to have one that came out of an XJ or would a CJ one work?
It don't matter as long as it's the same engine, you will want one that's out of a 4x4 so you don't have to tear the transmission apart and find t-case adaptors.

I really don't agree with that, I mean how many rock buggies or comp rides do you know that have a man trans.... so how would a manual benifit me when I am out wheelin with my buds? it doesn't because all you do is ride your clutch, start, stop, and makes the task at hand more difficult.

Back