• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding MORE lift!

NCXJMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj sport with a 3"lift and 31's. My question is if I add 2" to 2.5" inch coil spacers up fornt and 1.5" lift shackles in back will the shake I had before my t-case drop kit come back? I really dont want to buy a sye. Any help would be great!

I don't have a crystal ball. I need one to answer that question. My guess would be yes. I have 3" lift and a SYE. For the money yer gonna blow on shackles and spacers you could be halfway maybe to having your rig right. My .02.

Welcome to a great site by the way. You should join. You'd look stunning in red.

riverfever said:
For the money yer gonna blow on shackles and spacers you could be halfway maybe to having your rig right. My .02.

X2

Im sitting at a little over 5", which is what youll roughly be at with the above items and get a huge amount of vibes despite my TC drop. SYE is on order! Do it right the first time...especially since your running a newer XJ that is more prone to vibes than the older ones.

Dude...I did 3" full springs on my 96. I ended up using .75" spacers up front to level it out and had horrible vibes. I doctored it (instead of listening to the wise elders here and getting a SYE) with TC drop and shims. It was tolerable...but certainly not ideal. After I finally did the SYE and driveshaft I was amazed at the difference.

I also did a 2" BB to my 01 with spacers and shackles. It got vibes. I would PLAN on having vibes if I were you. Even 2" is a lot of change for the geometry of a vehicle. It's drastically different than stock and it's gonna have consequences.

NCXJMAN said:
The tech guy at rustys seems to think that I shouldn't need a sye.

Im sorry, but the rustys tech is WRONG!! Dont get me wrong, it can be made to work, but it wont be anywhere the results you'd get with an SYE.

I'm actually surprised to hear that. I had a great experience with all of the Rusty's staff. There's so much uncertainty...how can anyone say, definitively, you will not get vibes? I think it was Martin from Rock Lizard that told me once that even guys that say they have no vibes have them. They just don't have enough experience to tell it.

you wont know unless you try it....but be ready for vibes.

one thing you should do is google driveline angles, and read up. You can then measure your angles and see if they are within a reasonable operating range, determine your best course of action, and apply it.

Dont forget that shackles not only add lift, they turn your pinion up alittle. This can be a negative effect if you are running the stock shaft. You want the t-case output and rear pinion to be close to the same angle (opposite direction though), so you may need more drop just to get that relationship back. Its a viscious cycle.

Try it.

I had a '94 with 4 1/2" springs, 3" longer shackles(1 1/2" lift), no shims, a wrangler slip yoke, and a 1" t- case drop. I could still see clearly out of the rear view mirrors at 75 mph w/BFG mt's. It was noisy, not buzzing in the seat.

Every Jeep is different.

Get the shaft balanced by the best shop in town.(it's worth it!)

Good job on the membership. Lookin' great in Red!

NCXJMAN said:
do you guys have any suggestions on where to buy the sye? I think you convinced me. By the way this seems to be a great club and I am glad I joined!

I just bought mine from Rusty's. They have a package with an Advanced Adapters plus a Tom Woods drive shaft for $480 plus shipping.

PORC SYE i just installed it i think about 200 shipped to my door awesome! make sure your output shaft count and yokes for ds match up....best deal IMO looks awesome and i run 8 inches of lift

I'll be another one to say that every jeep is different. I've got 6.5" inches of lift (4.5" RE and 2" BB), a transfer case drop ,and I don't have any vibes. I can't explain it, maybe it is because I put in a D44 inplace of my 35, I don't know. I say just cross your fingers, try it ,and if you get mad vibes pull the spacers back out. Good luck. Oh by the way I have an '89.

Wow...you are in red. That's awesome man...and so soon. Ya know...I went with a Rubicon Express Hack and Tap SYE and one of their driveshafts. I was a little worried about the install but it was totally smooth and I was done in an hour. Made all the difference and I think it was about 400 bones total.

Back