• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to mount CB on headliner

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Id like my CB up top, and cant really figure out how to hold it up there. The headliner doesnt seem to be strong enough, and im not sure if the roof is two layers.

Also not sure how to keep the mic from hanging down.

i used a strip of scrap aluminum to make mine. i didn't want to drill holes in the headliner, so i used the existing screws that hold the visor clips in place. they're plenty strong for such a small CB. i've got a uniden pro510xL cb.
bracket27qj.jpg

the aluminum was very soft and easy to work with. so the bolt heads wouldn't poke the headliner, i used a larger drill bit to make the hole just a little bigger so the bolt heads would sit flush.
bracketscrews25ig.jpg

i could have used the factory screw holes to mount the CB on its supplied bracket, but it was pointed at a funny angle, so i simply gutted the box, drilled it, tapped it, and threw some new bolts through it.
cbinplaceview127ap.jpg

just another view.
cbinplaceview221sa.jpg

you can also take those screws out (that hold up the visor clips) then slide some small piece of wood up between the roof and headliner, then screw through the headliner into the wood to affix the CB, but i didn't want to poke any holes.

summitlt said:
Thatd be great, if one was available for a cherokee or comanche.

i'm not sure if they still have it avaliable, but it was just in the clearence section of the JCwhitney website like 2 weeks ago. here's one in an XJ. i hate that headliner fabric.
jcwhitneyshelfit4ik.jpg

if you're over like 6 feet, you can't see any stoplights with the shelfit in place.

heres a pictureof what someone else did. maybe this will lend a little inspiration...
cb23cb.jpg

i would have done that, but being 6 foot 3, i like having my rear view mirror mounted as close to the headliner as possible so i can see out the windshield. visibility might be something to take into consideration.
see where that mic is? i like that, but i HATED seeing the squiggly cord from the mic hanging there when i looked through the rear view. way distracting. any truck stop that sells CB stuff should have a few different hooks to choose from.
for now i've got my mic inbetween the headliner and the sun visor when i'm using it, but when i'm not using my CB, i've just got the mic unplugged.

you can go get some nuts and epoxy them to the roof? At work we use this crazy strong epoxy (3500psi) and I used it to hold my hockey puck bump stops on and I had to cut them off and grind them down to get them off. So maybe you could make whatever sorta mount you want and just glue it to the roof or glue the nuts and thread bolts through them. Just a ghetto thought.

dynamite44 said:
i used a strip of scrap aluminum to make mine. i didn't want to drill holes in the headliner, so i used the existing screws that hold the visor clips in place. they're plenty strong for such a small CB. i've got a uniden pro510xL cb.
I did the same thing. I also have the remote lock sensor & used the screws for it too. JIM.

i did basically the same thing as listed previously but i used parts from the hardware store...little brackets and what not... make sure it is solid mine wanst for a while knocked my miror off, but would hate to see it not be solid and crack or break the windshield

53guy said:
you can go get some nuts and epoxy them to the roof? At work we use this crazy strong epoxy (3500psi) and I used it to hold my hockey puck bump stops on and I had to cut them off and grind them down to get them off. So maybe you could make whatever sorta mount you want and just glue it to the roof or glue the nuts and thread bolts through them. Just a ghetto thought.

Wow, that just might work. I have tons of that epoxy around and it works REALLY good.

And thank for the shlef link, that looks really nice but im not sure if its worth $65

Back