• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are Optima batteries really worth the $$$?

4X4Chippie

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering buying a yellow top Optima, but I am having a hard time justifying spending $169 for a battery or $158 for the ProComp version. My other option is buying a deep cycle conventional battery for around $60 at Costco. I ran a deep cycle in my last 4X4, and it lasted almost five years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Not sure on the optima, never had one. But I always run Interstate last one was over 5 yrs old new one is going on 2 hopefully it will last as long as the last one.

Well...

I've got no complaints with my two Red Tops.

Mainly, I think you're paying for "power density" - the ratio of the power that the battery can produce to its actual weight. The Optima batteries seem to have just outlandish power density for lead-acid cells.

Also, my maintenance has dropped considerably (Optimas don't seem to outgas like conventional batteries - I check the terminals, but rarely clean them) and the fact of the battery being a good third lighter makes it easier for me to pull it out when I need to get under the thing.

For a deep cycle, I'd go with Optima - not only for the advantages I've noted here (which may not be advantages for you, but are for me,) but because I can mount the thing pretty much anywhere (even upside down...) and, since DC batteries are not typically well-maintained, the fact of not having to clean the terminals or top off the electrolyte would be a huge help. When I finally expand my electrical system to add a couple deep cycle batteries (in my 88,) I plan on getting two Optima deep cycle batteries, and isolating them with a 100% Duty Cycle solenoid.

5-90

I have had an optima for about 3 years now (transferred between two vehicles. I have to say they are well worth every penny. I have recharged it several times because of leaving lights and whatnot and had no probs. I love my optima========Kyle

To me, the only real benifit is that they are sealed. They aren't really any better then conventional deep cycles. They have the "coolness" factor, but who really cares.

I have seen more optimas do crazy things then any other battery. But then again, you see more optimas under the hoods of sports cars and 4x4's. However, I have seen 2 optimas crack, and start spewing out some nasty smelling gas, that I am sure is toxic. (probably why I am so twisted) I have also had one Blue Top internally short. That was interesting. The battery would die, you charge it up, it would die a short time later.... then I noticed it was swelling a little bit and was hot. Yeah, that thing got tossed.

The only reason I still run them is because they are sealed with no electrolyte to worry about.

I've got a red-top in the XJ and no problems since I bought it two years ago. The real testimonials are the electric vehicles (airline tugs and beltloaders) at work. These use anywhere from one to eight red tops. We use 'em hard and run them darn near dry regularly. In the last two years I've replaced one. That one was in a piece of equipment that is only used rarely, and the electric water-tank heater was left on for six months (I don't know how long it lasted, but it was DEAD when we discovered it.)

They're pricey, but worth it.

I had a redtop for about a year. A serious problem with my alt. circuit led to 3 blown alternators, and finally ruined the red top. It had a static standing charge of 19 volts. But it lasted almost 6 months while I was working out the alt. problems on my daily driver fsj. Given the constant overload charge it was receiving, it held up really well. Saw a similar problem in charging on a friend's rig that wrecked his battery in 2 days. Definitely worth the $$ for the zero-maintenance and durability.

i've had my yellow top for 2 yearsa and love it, havny had any problems yet. plus some of the top monster trucks (Bigfoot, Raminator) run there trucks directly off them.

I run the cheap 29 buck batteries from wally world....their cheap, they have a good no questions asked 3 year warranty(prorated after 3 years) and have yet to leave me stranded.

I run an excide O 6 same as an optima yellow top little cheaper. picked it up at napa for like 130. well worth it i love it.

I did this with two optimas (one yellow, one red), jumper cables, and 6011 rod. And the batteries survived just fine, and both vehicles started right up once the batteries were put back.

IMG_1447Medium.jpg

They're tough for sure. I don't think a regular battery would have faired as well with a continuous high-current draw like that.

Same Red top for 7 years now. In it's 3rd XJ, saw some time in the CJ.

Cranking on it is unreal.

Love it.

Yes its worth it.

I had one in my other truck for a while and liked it so much, I bought one for the XJ.

Stay away from ALL PRO COMP STUFF. It's sh!t re-labled.

Yes, the Yellowtops are worth every penny. I've had them in both of my XJs, and wouldn't run anything else.

Cranking power is excellent, even after they've been run way down from a couple of hours of engine-off inverter power draw in the 700- to 1500W range. Left the lights on for a couple of hours once; still started. No complaints.

Just my $0.02.

A new battery is in my futrue here pretty soon. My Jeep has been turning over more and more sluggish lately. When that time comes I will be getting an Optima thats for sure.

Don't forget to check/clean/replace your mains cables - I've had starting problems with a couple rigs I'd just bought go back to dirty lugs and bolts.

A wire brush works wonders on battery terminals and clamps, as well as lugs (use a LIGHT touch!) and bolts. If your cables are really shot, give me a call and I can fix you up with HD cables - oversized and sealed. I also use brass terminal clamps, rather than the lead - I find them more resistant to corrosion, they conduct better than lead (lead is used because it's cheap,) and the "marine" style clamps I use also make it easier to pull the battery if I need to. Check my website for pics, if you aren't really sure what I'm talking about (not to cast aspersions on you - but you might be "just learning" right now, and I'd like to help!)

5-90

i had an insterstate in mine and got a red top for free. like everyone says, the starting power is crazy. they're definitely worth it. batteries are sorta one of those things that you get what you pay for.

I got yellow tops in both of my Mj's and and sometimes they sit for as much as 3 months, and start right up.

What sold me on them was when I fried y alternator on the way home from Tellico. I drove 400+ miles on just the battery. This was in a 90 MJ with a 4.0 and an auto tranny. The funny thing is, what killed it was the fact that I had to turn on my headlights, or I think I would have made it all the way. Another 50 miles.

Patrick

I'm in the Air Force and we use Red Tops in all of our AGE equipment. They seem to work well for us. Plus, you don't have to worry about the vibrations of offroading damaging the batteries. Also, the sealed cells are spillproof making them ideal just in case your jeep ends up on it's side.

Back