• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic hubs stuck?

NCXJMAN

NAXJA Forum User
This past weekend I did a little wheeling in my 2000 xj sport. (3" lift & 31x10.5's) And the next day I went to drive my jeep and it felt like it was stuck in 4wd. (steering was jerking on turns.) So I had a friend look under it and the front drive shaft was spinning along with the axle shafts. But there is no power applied! I can feel power kick in when i put it back into 4wd, and notice a big diffrence. Any help solving my problem would be great! THanks

Your front drive shaft will always turn, even in 2wd. Jerking in turns is a symptom of a front axle ujoint problem.

NCXJMAN said:
This past weekend I did a little wheeling in my 2000 xj sport. (3" lift & 31x10.5's) And the next day I went to drive my jeep and it felt like it was stuck in 4wd. (steering was jerking on turns.) So I had a friend look under it and the front drive shaft was spinning along with the axle shafts. But there is no power applied! I can feel power kick in when i put it back into 4wd, and notice a big diffrence. Any help solving my problem would be great! THanks

no automatic hubs, the front axles are always connected through the unit bearing so that means your driveshaft will always spin. if it is a u-jount problem check for play in that joint and listen for noises while turning. if both joints look good then it might be something like contaminated fluid (if you went through water with a short or no vent tube) in the diff that makes it harder for the open diff to separate the axleshafts when u turn

I had the same problem with a tj this weekend. It turned out that it did not fully disengage form 4wd and got stuck in between 4 and 2 when it was parked. The next morning I tried to move it and it would not move in drive. gave it gas and jiggled the 4wd lever and it jammed in to 4 but the was lever in 2h. We lifted all 4 wheels off the ground and put it on jack stands and allowe teh wheels to move freely. all it needed was to slip back in to the right gear. Sometimes when shifting in and out of 4wd it does not disengage completely until you stop or change gears. All it needs is a gear change like neutral or reverse or even a complete stop will do the trick soemtimes. everything is fine now and nothing broke thankfully.

I checked for play in the front driveshaft, and there is a little on the axle side and a little on the diff side but it is a very very...small amount of play. Do you think that could still cause the problem?

Back