• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk from rear after braking

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I cant seem to figure it out. When i brake to stop at a light everything seems but once i hit the gas and move forward a foot i get a big clunk from the rear. Feels like the drums are sticking then releasing. It also makes that sound when braking hard every now and then but almost every time after stoping.

Any ideas?

I have the same thing. I changed engine mounts, transmission mount, all the ujoints and tightened ubolts. Checked the rear differential for play and still can't track it down. If you find something I've missed let me know.

same issue here mine seems like it drops down like an inch too when i start going again cant figure it out either

I get it too. When I put the tranny in neutral I can twist the drive shaft a few degrees. The ujoints are tight though...Maybe it is the shocks?

i was thinking it was the drive shaft slipping back into the trans a bit

idk

i put new shocks out back and up front still had the problem

funvtec said:
same issue here mine seems like it drops down like an inch too when i start going again cant figure it out either

YES!!!! it totaly feels like that.

What kind of rear lift and shims are u guys running?
I am running a s10 pack and a 1" block. No shims. 1" t-case drop

The weird thing is i was fine with my old diff but i swapped in a d35 with 4.10's last week and it started after that.

U guys check your u-bolts?

The ubolts do not look like they have been slipping. I did find the right shock has some play in it side to side and the left does not.

I have just read about 30 threads and have found a few difference answers.

1) loose u-joints
2) loose u-bolts
3) "S" shaped leafs
4) Slip yoke needs to be greased
5) leaky brakes making the drums stick

My leafs are in great shape i just built a S10-pack a few months back, U joints have no play. I still need to double check the u-bolts and need to grease the slip yoke.

I know my axle seal is leaking a bit but it should not effect it that bad ..right?

Last edited:
On my 92 I noticed the same noise....took me a couple of weeks to track it down. It ended up being the rear leaf spring bushings; the end of the leaf that mounts to the frame.

i've never ridden in an xj that didn 't do it. my 98 does it, as does my 92, as well as all the xj's, stock and lifted, owned by everyone i know. i always thought it was the shock bushings wallowing out on the bar pins or the shackles moving around, but i just try to filter out the noise

canadianwheeler said:
I cant seem to figure it out. When i brake to stop at a light everything seems but once i hit the gas and move forward a foot i get a big clunk from the rear. Feels like the drums are sticking then releasing. It also makes that sound when braking hard every now and then but almost every time after stoping.

Any ideas?
What year is your XJ? The later ones (with the slip yoke covered by the rubber bellows) are notorious for having spline bind. A TSB and a special nickle impregnated grease was issued by DC to solve this issue.

AZ Jeff said:
What year is your XJ? The later ones (with the slip yoke covered by the rubber bellows) are notorious for having spline bind. A TSB and a special nickle impregnated grease was issued by DC to solve this issue.

Mine is a 92. The diff that i just installed was from a 88.

Anyone know what that grease is called? part number?

canadianwheeler said:
Mine is a 92. The diff that i just installed was from a 88.

Anyone know what that grease is called? part number?
The earlier XJ's with the more traditional driveshaft slipyoke supposedly dont have this problem. I would suggest you take the driveshaft down, and inspect the slipsplines for galling/corrosion/etc. Assuming they look good, slather them up with some conventional chassis grease, and resinstall. If the problem goes away (even if only for a short while), then maybe it's time to get the special grease from the dealer.

350CJMASS said:
On my 92 I noticed the same noise....took me a couple of weeks to track it down. It ended up being the rear leaf spring bushings; the end of the leaf that mounts to the frame.

I wondered about that, but I haven't changed mine because I've got a set of new springs here waiting to go in.

350CJMASS said:
i was told that where my noise was coming from also.

for mine it was old worn out springs that caused it. the axle was wrapping. the pinion angle would change when i hit the brakes and then change again when i let up. at least that's what i'm assuming. i replaced the springs (which had 35k on them) after owning the XJ for 3 years (got it brand new) and put brand new factory jeep springs on it. solved the problem for me

dynamite44 said:
for mine it was old worn out springs that caused it. the axle was wrapping. the pinion angle would change when i hit the brakes and then change again when i let up. at least that's what i'm assuming. i replaced the springs (which had 35k on them) after owning the XJ for 3 years (got it brand new) and put brand new factory jeep springs on it. solved the problem for me
why would you put factory springs back on?

I still had the noise after the lift... I had the rear brakes done and the noise is gone. Change the shoes to NAPA.

Worked for me.

Back