• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

did some upgrading

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i upgraded my battery cables to 0 gauge and added achassis ground, did the power lock and power window fix, everything works great especially when i start it up it cranks real fast now i love the battery cable upgrade. now what can i up grade to keep my power up? Everytime i come up to a stop my lights go dim especially if i have the heat on. They go back to normal when i start to drive again but i'm sick of seeing my lights go unisen with my blinkers. I have a new battery and a newer alternater 100 amp what else can i upgrade?

It's not unusual for the alternator to not put out full power at idle. Maybe a smaller pully on the alt.? Hmmm. I think I'll have to do some research on this.

i 've been thinking of goung with a mean green alt. but its pricey and if there is an upgrade for the oem one i'm all for it

What all (electrically) do you have turned on when you come to a stop and the headlamps go dim? With a 100A alternator, you're probably getting 40A or so at idle - if you're drawing too much at idle; the alternator can't keep up (until you speed up again,) the battery has to fill in the gap, and system voltage and current will both drop.

My 160A alternator (built for me) puts out about 90A at idle - which is still too much to run everything I've got! I mainly have the high-output alternators because I tend to give a lot of jump starts, and it saves wear on the battery. Given that I don't push the unit anywhere near as hard as it's designed to go, it is highly unlikely to wear out - with the Red Top, I don't touch much of the reserve capacity anyhow.

You might want to look into what electrical loads you're putting on the system at idle - I think the engine wants 10-15A to run (although I'm not sure,) the stereo may be a big drain, and if you've got a batch of lights, that's certainly going to cause you difficulty.

You're on the right track with the heavy mains leads and the ground updates (I've done much the same thing, using slightly smaller cable - 1AWG,) but if you've not got quite a lot of source, then the drains might be too much.

It should be borne in mind that smaller pullys on the alternator, on a daily driver, are quite likely to wear out the bearings in the unit rather quickly - because you're turning the rotor faster. I'm actually running about a 10% underdrive on my alternator - which is going to help because I'm turning the rotor slower than normal... I'd suggest the use of an overdrive (smaller) pully with a show car, or something that isn't driven often - but I like to use underdrive (larger) pullys on daily drivers. (I've got four in service, all high-output, all with 10% underdrive...)

5-90

i know what you mean about the draw but i only have oem things (90 Limited)
i do have after market fogs (look just like oem 55 watt) but other than that if i sit at a light with the headlights and fogs on everything goes dim and on the oem gauge i can go from 14 volts down to the red just sitting. now it does get way worse when i'm running things such as my heater, i usually turn it off when i have to stop that thing draws a ton, for instance if sitting at idle during the day with everything off including the stereo ( cheap aftermarket cd player) i turn on the heaterr and it instantly drops about 3 volts on the gauge, i wonder if i could post video off my digital camera to show how bad it drops down. I've also been pondering buying a new heater control just because i thought that might be creating to much resistance.

sorry i suck at writing in complete paragraphs hope you can follow

Back