• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 carrier bearing

last friday, after pulling my carrier from the dana 30 to install my new lock rite, i pulled the outer races, and the passenger side one looked liek new, but the drivers side looks terrible,

i wouldnt have ever noticed this if it werent for the locker install, there have been no noises, and VERY, VERY little metal in the fluid, such a fine metal dust i hardly could see it, even after i noticed the bearing

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~awspence/outer.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~awspence/needles.jpg

what would cause this? i figured if it were dirt it would happen to both sides? just a bad bearing maybe?

also, am i correct to think that fixing this is more work than just pressing on a new bearing? im assuming that backlash and gear pattern will need to be checked at the very least, if not adjusted?

im running this for right now, but i dont expect it to want to last very long, so any advice would be appreciated
adam

well if you replace them with the same manufac. and part # you theroretically do not have to reset preload adn backlash. But if its a cheap low quality control manufac. its poss that they will not be close in spec. and need a little shimming.

IF it were me and I saw that I would NOT reassemble it, and replace the bearing even if I didnt have the tools or such to recheck.

my only clue as to why, could be pre-load was not right or the bearing was defective?

hmm, thanks for the ideas, i wish i had looked for a part number, so i could order one and at least half ass it until the summertime when i planned to do deeper gears anyway, is there any chance that there is only one part number that was used in 99 high pinion axles? im at school, and i can only mess with this thing on the weekends, but could order parts right now if that was the case

oh well, i went wheeling on it saturday and drove 2 hours back to school today, but i am aware that this needs to be addressed soon:gag:

Back