• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93' rear door speakers

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I have a 1993 4 dr cherokee sport. I have installed speakers many times in the past, but when i went to install rear door speakers, i could not find any speaker wires. Has anyone done this before? Could i have missed the speaker wires?

If there are no factory wires available, what's the easiest way to run speaker wire to the head unit?

thanks!

Cherokees never had rear door speakers that I know of. The rear speakers were in the liftgate or sometimes in a sound bar in the back over the head linner. Not all cherokees came with rear speakers it was a option. If you never had any rear speakers behind the drivers rear plastic pannel (behind the spare) there is a square plug that will have some gray and blue wires in it not going anywere. That is were you would tap in for rear speakers. I hop this helps.

I have installed 5.25" speakers in the rear door panels of my '92, but to my knowledge it was never a factory option.
You'll have to run new wire from your head unit to the speakers, and the best way is to fish it through the flexible rubber channel that is used for the PW/PL harness (if so equipped).
There is a cavity is in the door that will allow you to use up to a 5.25" speaker (you might be able to go larger with some very precise measurement and a little luck). You might have to trim a bit of metal on the door interior, but nothing a good pair of tin snips can't handle. There's not a lot of room to work in the door, but most of your install time will be in cutting your opening in the door trim panel.
I installed the speakers in the trim panels rather than the door itself (would have required much more precision), but they seal up fairly decent if you do it properly. Not a lot of vibration if you keep the bass level properly adjusted (or spend the $$$ to add some Dynamat or other sound damping material).
The imaging is decent, but just like the front speakers it could use a component set to bring the soundstage up a little higher.
One item of note - if you haul a lot of stuff, the speakers will get covered up or muffled by the rear seat when it is flipped up.
I don't have the ability to post photos, so if you want to see the finished product (sorry, no installs) just PM me your email address.

Back