• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

benefit of 4.0L strokers

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i saw this on another post and it made me think:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej
For a lark and because it was free, my XJ was dyno'd today. The guy said it ran 247 horsepower at just under 4200 rpms and 255ft-lbs of torque at 3700.

Most stroked 4.0s dont even make that to the rear wheels

so how much do stroked 4.0s put out, and what's the point in dumping all that money in if it doesn't even do much??? i've read about these strokers for a while and thought it seemed like a nice idea since my engine is starting to sound like a really bad drum solo. but now i'm not so sure.

I'm only looking for real experiences please. what are the pros and cons of doing a stroker and if you dyno'd it, how much did it make??? and do you think it was worth the money???

I don't know that guy's particular setup, but there are many ways to build a stroker. And just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

A friend of mine has built one that's putting out about 310 ft-lbs and 265 HP and you definitely can feel it. He'll smoke all the tires (33x12.5) with a 242 in full-time mode, and also blew up a 27-spline 8.25 on the street.

vetteboy said:
I don't know that guy's particular setup, but there are many ways to build a stroker. And just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

A friend of mine has built one that's putting out about 310 ft-lbs and 265 HP and you definitely can feel it. He'll smoke all the tires (33x12.5) with a 242 in full-time mode, and also blew up a 27-spline 8.25 on the street.

Excellent Info...... :)

All that money? The stroker is only a few hundred dollars over a regular 4.0L rebuild. Just gotta buy 4.2L crank and rods. Everything else is the same. I think I have $800 in my stroker but I already had all the bolt on go fast parts like injectors, t-body, exhaust, etc...

AARON

All that money? The stroker is only a few hundred dollars over a regular 4.0L rebuild. Just gotta buy 4.2L crank and rods. Everything else is the same. I think I have $800 in my stroker but I already had all the bolt on go fast parts like injectors, t-body, exhaust, etc...

i don't have anything extra over stock as of yet. so i would have to buy everything needed, including things to compliment the new engine such as intake, exhaust, etc..etc..

also did you do the work yourself or pay a shop to do the stroker rebuild???

MrShoeBoy said:

AARON

How in-depth did you go as far as porting/polishing the head, port matching the intake, cylinder boring, decking the block/head, piston dishing, etc? What's your compression ratio?

scorpio_vette said:
I'm only looking for real experiences please. what are the pros and cons of doing a stroker and if you dyno'd it, how much did it make??? and do you think it was worth the money???

My 4.6 stroker's putting out about 270hp/327lbft at the flywheel and it was DEFINITELY worth the money. Whole stroker build-up cost me just under $1500 and I have my old 4.0 as a rebuildable core.

Originally Posted by Beej
For a lark and because it was free, my XJ was dyno'd today. The guy said it ran 247 horsepower at just under 4200 rpms and 255ft-lbs of torque at 3700.

That's a load of bollocks.

247hp @ 4200rpm = 309lbft so something doesn't add up here.

Most stroked 4.0s dont even make that to the rear wheels

the reason i posted this specific section wasn't cuz i cared whether or not that free XJ really did that. i did read the thread. what i was getting at was:

"most stroked 4.0s don't even make that to the rear wheels".
that's what got me into thinking about what they really put out, and that's why i asked for experience. i've liked the idea of the strokers for some time now and will be doing it within the next year hopefully. but when i read that i realized that i've read alot about the buildup, but never any aftermath specs on what it ran. now according to some of you guys pushing 260-270HP, that sound like it's worth it. so sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for the info.

one thing i also noted is that nobody listed pros or cons.. anything??? like horrible or really great gas mileage, cooling issues, any other problems that should be taken into consideration when starting a stroker project???

If you want more HP, you will need more gas to feed them. So I wouldn't expect great gas milage of a stroked engine. Plus our XJ's are already gas guzzlers.
Rule of thumb: More HP = More Gas = Less MPG.

Just my 2 cents

scorpio_vette said:
the reason i posted this specific section wasn't cuz i cared whether or not that free XJ really did that. i did read the thread. what i was getting at was:

"most stroked 4.0s don't even make that to the rear wheels".
that's what got me into thinking about what they really put out, and that's why i asked for experience. i've liked the idea of the strokers for some time now and will be doing it within the next year hopefully. but when i read that i realized that i've read alot about the buildup, but never any aftermath specs on what it ran. now according to some of you guys pushing 260-270HP, that sound like it's worth it. so sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for the info.

one thing i also noted is that nobody listed pros or cons.. anything??? like horrible or really great gas mileage, cooling issues, any other problems that should be taken into consideration when starting a stroker project???

i guess you didnt read the post, the XJ wasnt free the Dyno was :doh:

If I was to do it over again, I'd want at least 5.0 liters of displacement to turn my 3/4 ton driveline, half ton axles, and big heavy tires.

I do get 16.5 MPG fully loaded, towing my trailer, with the stroker, though.

CRASH said:
If I was to do it over again, I'd want at least 5.0 liters of displacement to turn my 3/4 ton driveline, half ton axles, and big heavy tires.

I do get 16.5 MPG fully loaded, towing my trailer, with the stroker, though.

16.5 is Great Milage, I Barely get 13,11 MPG with my 4.0 non HO stocker and not loaded and not towing. My rigs almost always have bad MPG's. Maybe I'm to heavy on my right foot.

Who knows.

HotChiliRam said:
If you want more HP, you will need more gas to feed them. So I wouldn't expect great gas milage of a stroked engine. Plus our XJ's are already gas guzzlers.
Rule of thumb: More HP = More Gas = Less MPG.

Just my 2 cents

18-19 MPG highway with my 4.6, 65k on it and no signs of slowing or losing fluids. Cools just like the 4.0, runs at @ 195-205 regardless of outside temp. If you are doing a rebuild anyways, I really cannot think of a good reason not to stroke it while you're in there...

vetteboy said:
How in-depth did you go as far as porting/polishing the head, port matching the intake, cylinder boring, decking the block/head, piston dishing, etc? What's your compression ratio?

I did all the work myself in my garage. The only things I didnt do where the machine work. I did as much porting and polishing as I think I could in my garage with a kit. I used the gasket as a template and matched the head and intake to the gasket. It wasnt that hard. The cylinders where bored .030 over and the head and deck where left unchanged. I used a Mopar Preformance head gasket which is thinner than stock to help with the quench. The pistons are Sealed Power H802CP, I didnt dish them. My CR is around 9.5 or 9.6 depending on which calculation you use. One said it was 9.5 another said 9.6. In my XJ with a 5 speed, 33s and about 4.5" of lift I get an average of 16 mpg. I have bumpers, rock rails, full skids, HP Dana 44 up front and a Ford 8.8 in the rear. I also typically have some tools and other asorted stuff in the back. In the city I dont waste any time getting up to speed and on the interstate I go around 75-80mph. If I slowed down some I could probably get 17 or 18 but I dont want to drive like an elderly person just yet.

AARON

scorpio_vette said:

Go to the FAQ's section of my stroker site http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html and you'll find the answers to most of your questions.
My stroker has no cooling issues (sits at ~180* unless it's over 105*F outside), no pinging problems, gives very good gas mileage (average 20mpg Imperial, only slightly less than my old 4.0) considering I drive pretty fast, has excellent emissions (better than my old 4.0), is smoother and sweeter than my old 4.0, and has abundant torque from idle to redline.
Downsides? It's hard to resist the temptation to stomp on the gas and use the extra performance.

The only downside is that I believe more power is needed. Quite frankly, I'd love to see a rig with 35" tires on a chassis dyno. I bet there would be about 170 HP at the rear wheels of most strokers.

xj-grin said:
18-19 MPG highway with my 4.6, 65k on it and no signs of slowing or losing fluids. Cools just like the 4.0, runs at @ 195-205 regardless of outside temp. If you are doing a rebuild anyways, I really cannot think of a good reason not to stroke it while you're in there...

I'm Impressed I only get 13 MPG's with my 4.0 Auto, 33's and 4,56's. Apparently I have a problem, what could it be?

Thanks

Back