• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much wider are TJ flares

i just got a set of 4 TJ rears for my xj. they are wider...but not by a whole lot. they do look a lot wider thought due to the fact that they are more square...and dont slant down towards the tire. does that make sense? I only need about a half of and inch or so to cover my tires, and it looks like these flare will do it. plus i think they look much better than the original flares on my 94... i know that doesnt really help you much... just my $.02.

justin

ghettocruiser said:
i just got a set of 4 TJ rears for my xj. they are wider...but not by a whole lot. they do look a lot wider thought due to the fact that they are more square...and dont slant down towards the tire. does that make sense? I only need about a half of and inch or so to cover my tires, and it looks like these flare will do it. plus i think they look much better than the original flares on my 94... i know that doesnt really help you much... just my $.02.

justin

I agree, I did the same (in process), and it looks better -- one inch wider than stock by the way...

xj-grin: are they really that much wider? i didnt measure yet..just held them up and used my eyeball measuring tape. thats perfect if they are +1"... even better than i thought! cant wait to get those flimsy, cut up stock pieces of crap off.

j.

ghettocruiser said:
xj-grin: are they really that much wider? i didnt measure yet..just held them up and used my eyeball measuring tape. thats perfect if they are +1"... even better than i thought! cant wait to get those flimsy, cut up stock pieces of crap off.

j.

I'll admit the 1" thing is something I've read, but they do appear about an inch wider, and I no longer have splashback on my side windows like I used to...

I have 33x12.5s on 4" BS wheels, and they still leave about an inch uncovered. The Rubicon model ones are an inch wider than even the stock TJ ones.

ok... thats the same set-up as me. 33x12.5 on 4"bs wheels. although if i gain near an inch it will still be good. my rears hardly stick out now at all..and the fronts...well the fronts are goofy because of the taper of the front end. i think 1/3 of the tire towards the rear will be covered. enough to fool someone at a quick glance into thinking they are covered anyway.

i wanted to get rubi flares...but i couldnt find 4 rears. i got my tj ones new really really cheap. about 1/4 of the cost of bushwackers...so i went with them. guess we'll see. ill be putting up a write up on installing them when i do it. most of the ones ive seen online arent that great. couple are good though.

J.

I don't have a head-on pic from the front, but here's with the front TJ flares installed.

inspect5.jpg

I haven't gotten around to doing the rears yet...like you said, the rear situation isn't nearly as bad as the front, so it's not as easily noticed. In that pic I still have the garden edge molding on the rear that I put on for inspection purposes.

Here's the front with no flares:

trxus3.jpg

Back