• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cps?

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

'88 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Auto 4WD 138k mi. Reman 4.0L and Tranny put in at 135k mi.

Recently changed CPS.

How long do these CPS's last?

Thx, Phil

Phil,

Time periods on how long they last can differ from a few years to quite a few years.... depending upon heat, vibration and quality of the component.
Generally they last quite a long time !!

Charles

That's a smartaleck answer, but it's also the correct one. The only thing I've seen that is constant about the CPS is that they seem to operate just fine until you change something...

Keep a spare handy because Murphy's Law says that the CPS will fail at the most inopportune moment. Having a spare will prevent failure of the primary unit as well. :D

The original CPS on my '88 4.0L lasted about 175,000 miles. The second one (factory Jeep parts) lasted about 70,000

Carry a spare.

BTW -- in both cases when mine failed, I had NONE of the "classic" early warning symptoms such as skipping and hard starts. The Jeep ran fine, right up to the time it simply wouldn't start. First time it hit in the driveway at home. Second time was in the parking lot of the local Staples and I had to call AAA for a flatbed.

Back