• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd conversion on '00 xj

gooch27

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I am slowly preparing to convert my 2wd '00 XJ to 4wd. I have a few questions. First, I know that I must swap out my 2wd automatic tranny with another that is meant for 4wd. My question is will my 2wd cpu work with the new 4wd tranny? Also, will my 2wd torque converter work with the new 4wd tranny? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of 4wd aw-4's to choose from out there. I have found a few decently priced with low miles. Is there anything else I should look for before actually buying one? Does it hurt them to sit for long periods of time? I have more questions but I figure I should wait until these problems are solved. Your input is greatly appreciated.

The only difference between the 2wd and 4wd AW-4 is the tailshaft adapter and length of same. The tranny and guts are identical.

Idealy; you need a complete parts XJ; or a deal with the yard to harvest everything you need.

Which is the trans and transfer case, also, the front axle (with the same gear ratio as your existing rear axle), front and rear driveshafts, t-case shifter and linkage, etc.

You will also need a 97+ OBDII trans.

Well I have a transfer case. NP231 from a '02 wrangler, along with the axles. I understand the wrangler front axle is a LP, but I am going to use it anyway for now. The rear axle is a D44 which will have to have everything cut off of it and spring and shock perches mounted. Does anyone know if the wrangler transfer case linkage and shifter will work on the XJ?

Back