• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 AW4 trans OD adjustment

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting some slipping and engine reving when going into 4/OD on my AW4 under power. When in, or if not accelerating much during the shift, it holds fine. Is there an external adjustment that might help here, like one could do with older transmissions by adjusting bands, etc?

Thanks.
Skip

I don't think there is an adjustment for the OD since it is actually a lockup torque converter, not another gear.

Do a fluid and filter change (Dexron III) and put about a pint or so of Lucas automatic trans conditioner in it. That might keep it going for a while.

Will do, although I did check the kickdown cable a while back and it was fine. Since I'd not want to rev this high-mileage engine anyway, any problem adjusting it so it doesn't force a downshift at WOT? I don't go that far anyway, and just in case someone else does...

skipc said:
Will do, although I did check the kickdown cable a while back and it was fine. Since I'd not want to rev this high-mileage engine anyway, any problem adjusting it so it doesn't force a downshift at WOT? I don't go that far anyway, and just in case someone else does...
No it also controls the transmission pump pressure.

Back