• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 AW4 ===> '94 AX-15 conversion?

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
my transmission is f*cked.... still cant figure out whats wrong with it... monday is my day off and its the last day ill screw with it, but ive been having some trouble with my AW4, been slippin like crazy blah blah blah, replaced the tps... so on and so on... now my jeep is about to vibrate apart cuz it rattles so bad when im idleing in gear.... transmission is binding up and im gettin ready to junk it cuz i cant afford a $1800 rebuild

but... NEVER will i get rid of my jeep

my friend has his 94 cherokee thats he rebuilt the motor in last year, but he ran into problems and never could get it all working, but the transmission in it is fine (ax-15) , i have no problem converting my jeep to a manual cuz i have his right there to use as a donor.... but his jeep is 2wd

i converted my jeep to 4wd last year and im not sure about the spline counts on the transmissions. I know they were 21 spline on 87-90s (i have a 89) and a 23 spline on the 91+ when it came to the AW4... but what about the AX-15?

im just tryin to see if my x-fer case will bolt up to the '94 ax-15

if so, i can swap that tranny out my next day off and have her set.... ill just need the different driveshafts

anyone know about the spline counts?

I asked about the differences in the 2WD AX-15 and 4WD AX-15 a while back. I was told that the actual shaft is different in length. The consensus was that the 2WD AX-15 would need to be taken apart and have the shorter 4WD shaft put in it, in order to mate with a t-case. I abandoned the idea of using a 2WD AX-15 in my 87 4x4 because of that, and didn't research into it further, it was easier to find a 4x4 trans in a JY. Going rate for a 96+ AX-15 in this area is about $250.

Can't help you much with splines, but I do know you'll need a custom pilot bearing between the 89 crank hole & the 94 shaft.

If you use a different length combo for the tranny/tcase, there will be a different amount of space between the tcase & axles, causing you to also need custom length driveshafts made. (Most people recommend using the same model year for 2-4wd conv.)

You'll also have to install the clutch pedal and everything to convert to manual, and I've heard the power brake booster gets in the way. Can anyone confirm?

hey JVRacer04 have you checked the pickapart junkyards I KNOW they have renix era manual transmissions for CHEAP you could get one for around 99! you should have gone on new years day they were having a sale HALF OFF!

Back