• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drilling steering knuckles for heims

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
Im pondering going to hiems and runnin a inverted T system..
question is what size bit would be the best to drill out the knuckles to do a double shear heim set up..

hope this makes sense..

Im thinking 5/8" but will that leave enough material in the knuckles so the heim would bust before the knuckle??

BTW im not worried about relocation of the TB or DL..I wil address those issues when I build the steering

VegasAnthony said:
Im pondering going to hiems and runnin a inverted T system..
question is what size bit would be the best to drill out the knuckles to do a double shear heim set up..

hope this makes sense..

Im thinking 5/8" but will that leave enough material in the knuckles so the heim would bust before the knuckle??

BTW im not worried about relocation of the TB or DL..I wil address those issues when I build the steering

not sure what the difference between a double shear heim and a regular heim is but i used 5/8" bolts for my over-the-knuckle steering on my d30 and it seemed like plently of material left..
you're prbly only removing 1/8"(radius) 1/4" diam. total not a big deal- or at least i didn't think so when i chucked up the bit and drilled it out..

Mine are 5/8" also. No problem with plenty of material left. I used a Mill bit not a drill so that it was a better fit (but they were available for me).

Michael

on my d44, the major diamiter of the TRE hole was 3/4 - so that is what i decied to run....

there are really cool "high misalignment" spacers for heims that make them use a smaller bolt, but allow for more angle that i wish i had looked into more.

this is what i am talking about:
hms3412.JPG

from here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415629

so you could run 3/4" heims with these spacers and use a 5/8" bolt and have more angle...

XJ_ranger said:
on my d44, the major diamiter of the TRE hole was 3/4 - so that is what i decied to run....

there are really cool "high misalignment" spacers for heims that make them use a smaller bolt, but allow for more angle that i wish i had looked into more.

this is what i am talking about:
hms3412.JPG

from here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415629

so you could run 3/4" heims with these spacers and use a 5/8" bolt and have more angle...

or I could run these

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/it.A/id.1391/category.39/.f

and have less angle right..of course a 3/4 heim is stronger..

is there any drawbacks to havin to much angle??

5/8 is about 16K
vs
3/4 is about 24K

I would think 16K is way enough
but I dont know
opinions??

VegasAnthony said:
or I could run these

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/it.A/id.1391/category.39/.f

and have less angle right..of course a 3/4 heim is stronger..

is there any drawbacks to havin to much angle??

5/8 is about 16K
vs
3/4 is about 24K

I would think 16K is way enough
but I dont know
opinions??

there is really NO need to run missallignment bushings on the Tie-rod between the two knuckles only on the Draglink between the Pitman-arm and the Passengerside knuckle, Don't waste your $ on the 3/4x5/8" hiems and mis-allignment bushings for the Tierod..

i'm runnin those on my Drag-link and i can't even get near maxing the angle out, its a primo choice for OTK steering.

& 5/8" grade * hardware is plenty strong for XJ steering

I am going to be running those Ballistic high mis-allignment spacers on my drag link with my Ford D44 knuckles. The issue that concerns me is that the larger side of the taper is bigger than 5/8", like Ranger said. If I drill out the rest of the taper for the 5/8" bolt, is it an issue as far as strength goes? Would it be best to drill out to a larger hole and sleeve the hole with tubing with an ID of 5/8"?

Greg

A D44 has a larger steering arm than a D30. Use a 5/8" hole on a D30. If you want to do it at home try a undersized twist drill and then a .625 reamer.

Back