• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Update, still having problems on the downshift, (long)

demiji

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my original posting...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71790

My mechanic decided it was the transmission, so $800 later I've decided it was NOT the problem. It still is giving me trouble downshifting, not all of the time, but often enough where it is almost daily, if not up to 10 times a day depending on how long I'm out and about. I told him I wanted him to put my tranny back in and replace the clutch (which I asked him to do when he put the new tranny in to begin w/simply b/c it hadn't been done before~he didn't do it then though). His answer, I'll evaluate that...meaning he most probably does not have my transmission anymore. He insists that the tranny was the problem, b/c it gave me trouble ONCE going from 3rd to 4th. The rest of the time it's downshifting.

Against his better judgement he put a new clutch in it last week. The night I picked it up I turned right around on the way home and had him drive it as it gave me the same troubles...it didn't do it for him at all. The next day (Thursday) it does it to me probably five or six times, so I drove it back over. He drove it, nothing. UGH. He asked me if I was doing something "wrong". Now, I've had this jeep for four years now, I know how to drive it. I think what he may be doing differently than me is when we are stopping I will downshift to first, from 4th, down to 3rd, then 2nd. He will pop it into neutral and brake to slow down, then shift when it is stopped. It really depends on the traffic situation which way I consistantly do it, he always does it his way. It still gives me problems downshifting either as I am slowing down to a stop, or as I am turning a corner and go from 4th to 3rd or 2nd.

A man tonight mentioned that some Jeep Cherokees that are newer than 95 have some sort of a sensor. I'm going to cut and paste his reply to me here:

"I'm not sure if your jeep has it, being a 95, but on some of the newer vehicles, there is an electronic sensor that won't let lower gears engage at certain speeds. If the computer thinks you are going to fast for a lower gear, it locks it out. Like I said, I'm not sure if your jeep has it, but that would definately be something worth looking into. As you were first describing the problem, I kept thinking the synchros, which would be a transmission issue, but if thats been replaced, and the clutch isn't the problem, I'm at a loss. As far as the hydraulics go, there aren't a whole lot of tests that can be done on them. As long as nothing is leaking, and there is fluid in the cylinder, they should be fine. A bleeding of the Hydraulic clutch system(if you have a hydraulic clutch) is what I would try, that is, if it hasn't already been done. I hope I've helped out at least a little. If I can do anything else, let me know"

I feel like my mechanic should make this right for me, after all I paid him 800 already for a rebuilt transmission. And it still gives me trouble. He put the clutch in at no charge but is replacing it again on MOnday as he doesn't like how you have to put the pedal to the floor before it engages. Even thinks this may be why I am still having problems. Let's talk about odds here. First it's my transmission, so we put a new one into it, yet it still does it. My guy says b/c I had problems shifting on the upshift once that means I needed the transmission. So lets put a different clutch into it, it still does it. So, do I really truly have two bad clutches in a row, as well as two tranny's???
He said he'd make it right, but each and every time he drives it, it will not do a thing wrong for him. I think he thinks I am crying wolf!

I've asked him numerous times, have you checked out the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, the shifter? He says they have all looked and tested fine. Can you even look and test these, or are they things that have to be taken apart to check. Do they go bad 100%, or cause intermittent problems? I'd love to just find someone else, but as I said~he needs to make this right as I cannot keep putting money into it, especially if the problem is still there. He is a jeep expert, specializes, owns and is a member of a large local jeep club. I think he is just set on one solution, and isn't willing to reach at all.

Any more ideas on what to do???
Thanks~

um, New clutch, replaced transmission, replaced clutch again and problem is still there. The problem sounds like its in the shift linkage or wrong transmission oil. I have a 95 Xj with the aw15 5 speed. I was having problems downshifting into 2nd gear, real bad when it was cold. I changed the transmission oil to Redlines MT and it shifts real smooth now. Second gear will still grind a little when its real cold, but will still go into gear.

Back