• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 checK list

good303

NAXJA Forum User
hey , i found a dana 44 rear sitting under a 87 xj at my local salvage yard and she looKs to be i good shape . what i would liKe to Know is what i should looK for to see if the axle is in good shape internaly and how much do you thinK it would be worth . if i get it im planning on getting it overhauled , new bearing seals braKes gears all that jazz . also would it be cheaper to upgrade my 8.25 and still get the strength of a mildly modified 44 . well trhanKs

d44

I own a 87 XJ with the d44 and it came with 3.07 gears, so make sure you check the axle, or plan on regearing

i had my D44 axle bearings and seals done at the local axle guru for about $200... the axle tag on the cover bolts should tell you the gear ratio but they get worn pretty bad.. the 8.25 is supposedly "about as strong" as a stock D44 but the aftermarket support isnt there for it.. if the donor truck is an auotmatic its probably 3.54's if a 5spd prpbably 3.07's.... but others were available i assume..look in the glove box of the donor for a silver sticker stating it vehicle is exuipped with a locking differential... that means u got a track loc too.. it most likely will not have bad gears so it may match your truck already.. new brakes are easy and cheap. when u gt the brakes at the parts store they may not list a "dana 44" but will show a "tow package" or at least list 2 different sizes of shoes available.. you will need th ebigger ones...
mike

Not really much to look for, other than a bent housing, which is pretty rare. I'd just get it. It will be 3.07's with a stick and 3.55's with an auto, nothing else was available.......assuming a D44 only came with a 6cyl.

If you're going to change gears anyway, I'd go with the D44. Don't know what year your XJ is, or whether you have the later model 8.25 with the 29 spline axles. That axle isn't bad, and will hold up to 33's and can live well with 35's if equipped with alloy axles. The D44 axles are a touch bigger at 30 spline, and the brakes are bigger....10x2.5".

Back