• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped trans mount bolt

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
first off, what kinda bolts are those 2 on the top of the transmission where it mounts to the engine. i was trying to pull my tranny today to replace the clutch. i've never seen bolts like that (look like a reverse torx bit).

well anyways i got the first one out using a normal socket, but the other one completely rounded off and i only have a couple inches of room to work with. any ideas on how i can get that one out?

and can i replace them with normal style bolts as long as i get hardened grade 8 bolts?

thanks,
alex

They are external torx-- try a search, you should find the specifications for both eTorx size and bolt size. I expect they are metric, so you would want grade 8.8 or 10.2, not grade 5 or 8.

You've run into the notorious reverse head torx bolts that are the curse of every DIY Jeep owner. Exact same thing happened to me: got one off, but stripped the other. Finally used a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel through the tunnel with a partner guiding me from the engine bay. Sliced the head right off in about 5 minutes of cutting. Once you get a good start, it's pretty easy to keep in the groove, though you might nick the bellhousing a bit. The passenger side bolt has a clip that holds a vent hose on that acts as a guide, too.

That was the only thing that worked, and we tried every method we could think up. Replaced them with 8.8 hex head bolts, no problem. Good luck.

4xBob said:
They are external torx-- try a search, you should find the specifications for both eTorx size and bolt size. I expect they are metric, so you would want grade 8.8 or 10.2, not grade 5 or 8.

Are you sure they are rounded off? Those bolts are suprisingly tough when it comes to "stripping". Anyways I'd try in the following order:
1. external torx
2. bolt out

They are probably external torx. You can get a set of E-Torx sockets from Lisle tools (check some of the local parts houses, or maybe Sears) and you'll probably want to use the E12.

As far as replacing them, I've usually found they're threaded 3/8"-16, and about an inch and a half long. I've replaced them with hex head capscrews whenever I run across them - SAE Grade 5 is OK, but I'll usually use SAE Grade 8 or CRES bolts instead (preference to CRES - you know it as stainless steel.)

The lower bolts are probably threaded 7/16"-14 - so you can replace those as well if you feel the need to (again, I'll usually use CRES undercar, because I'm cranky...)

5-90

Back