• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker cast # help

krakhedd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

The casting # of my crank I'm here picking up is 3214722, and the cast number listed doesn't come up in any searches. I checked Dyno's stroker build-up, and the cast # is close to the 3nd one he lists, for '72-'80, listed as being 3214723. This crank came out of a '79 258, so certainly is within the year range. The accuracy of the scale I'm using to weigh it is pretty questionable, and I don't have a good scale to weigh it on.

Does anybody know what this casting number is from? Is this indeed the 66lb crakn I thought it was?

Thanks!

Count counterweights. I'm not sure about that casting number (I've got a list, but I'll have to dig it up so I can code it into HTML for WiP...) but there are, I think, three versions (in increasing weight...)
Six counterweights
Eight counterweights
Twelve counterweights.

I think the 66# crank is twelve counterweights - but I don't have one each to weigh here. If you aren't sure of counterweights, I'd need a pic or two to count them up for you...

5-90

According to that web site, this crank is from a 232? (I sure as hell hope not!)

Also, I think it came out of a manual-trannied vehicle, whereas this website states it's for a Torqueflite auto, so I'm questioning the accuracy of the casting info.

It has 8 counterweights - not the 12 I hoped for, and I'm praying it's a 258 crank now. I'm going to get out the ruler and measure the stroke later today.

The guy I got it from has a few 258s sitting around his garage, so I trust he knows what displacement motor it came from.

Ok, that site doesn't have cast #s for blocks. The cast # taken frmo the block the crank came from is 3227448. The vehicle came with a Tremec 3-spd.

Is this indeed a 232 crank, and if it is, is it of any use to me? It has a slightly longer stroke than the 4.0, but is it even worth assembling a motor for it?

I had shoulder surgery recently so don't want to do too much moving around of the crank. I can't really measure the stroke where it is right now - trying to work this out through what I know instead of trying to tear metal anchors out of my bone.

Contact Frank Swygert at

[email protected]

There is almost nothing that he doesnt know about AMC motors, casting numbers and all things AMC. Tell him that John Young suggested you contact him. He's a great guy and will help you out.

John

Ok, thank you VERY much Mr. Young, appreciate the info! (I wasted 1-2 hours last night alone searching the Internet for help with this question)

Back