• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch

91Limited

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my ignition switch, but am not the most familiar with behind my xj's dash. I was wondering if someone could point it out to me using a picture or diagram of behind the dash. I searched for this but none of the pictures are being hosted anymore. just a lot of red x's. Also anything i should know about installing it? Any help is appreciated
thanks

91 XJ 4.0/AW4/Power everything, tilt steering

91Limited said:
I need to replace my ignition switch, but am not the most familiar with behind my xj's dash. I was wondering if someone could point it out to me using a picture or diagram of behind the dash. I searched for this but none of the pictures are being hosted anymore. just a lot of red x's. Also anything i should know about installing it? Any help is appreciated
thanks

91 XJ 4.0/AW4/Power everything, tilt steering

would love to help with pictures behind the dash, but your ignition switch is in the column.

whats wrong with it ?

red91inWA said:
would love to help with pictures behind the dash, but your ignition switch is in the column.

whats wrong with it ?

sorry, i was told it was behind the dash :wierd:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70637 should fill you in, im kinda working off of the last post in that thread, and figured if someone with 2700 posts told me it was behind the dash, then it was, pics/diagrams of where the ignition switch is, or possibly another diagnosis of the problem on the other thread?

well there is your switch in the column and then the electrical end at or near the lower 1/3 rd of the column...if you take out the ashtray, and then undo the screws all along that trim piece that runs the lower length of the dash...you should be able to see it fairly well.

if your take that piece off you should be able to do that electrical end without much problem.

red91inWA said:

whats wrong with it ?
You are wrong, it is under the dash mounted on the column.
and operated by a cable from the key.

igswitch.jpg

Before you take the old switch off,might wanna mark where the old switch is...also notice that the dimmer and the igntn switch are in the same bracket...
moving the bracket too far up the column=switch won't work
moving the bracket too far down the column=dimmer won't work...
Just info I'm passin on....it don't matter how I got the info :laugh3:

so do you think that the ignition switch will do it?

not only do i not want to waste $15(hey im dutch :laugh3: ) but i just want to fix this problem...

any more input would be appreciated

Gotta be Dutch.....Amish wouldn't be askin about an ignition switch....horse n carriage don't have an ignition switch :roflmao: :roflmao:

churky89 said:
Gotta be Dutch.....Amish wouldn't be askin about an ignition switch....horse n carriage don't have an ignition switch :roflmao: :roflmao:
I live in Amish country it seem that when they get a car suddenly there Dutch.
If they own a restaurant like DerDutchman they’re Amish, I think you can be both because they’re nationality is Dutch but they’re life style/religion is Amish.

Back