• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushwackers on, how wide rims?

sivrt

NAXJA Forum User
Hi.
I have a `86 XJ with bushwackers on it and 8 inch wide rims. I`m going to replace these with 10 inch wide black rockcrawlers soon with 3,75" BS. Is this an OK setup or will the tires be outside the flares? I`m going with either the 32" or 33". The Jeep is lifted with 2,5" OME now an d will have another 2" BB from Teraflex before the new tire combo goes on. I am forced to have the tires on the inside of the flares due to regulations in Norway where I live.. Also, is there enough room for 33`s with bushies and about 4-4,5" of lift.

Thankful for all replies, guys...

Morten

32 or 33 what?? 10.5, 12.5? I would run at least a 12.5 wide tire. Anything smaller on a 10" rim and you really run the risk of loosing the bead.

it would be either 32 x 11,5 or 33 x 12,5. It`s a 2,5l engine so I`m afraid it would be too lazy with the 33`s. The axles are 4.10 geared, both of them of course..

I would forget about the height with the 2.5, just shoot for a 32x13.5. They do exist, but are not all that common. The height wont be a factor on the little motor, but the width could help a lot in some terrains...sand, mud, snow, etc.

Also much less likely to lose a bead on a ten inch rim.

I think it would be the width of the tires that makes the engine to lose power. Much mass to get rollin`you know.But I know a guy at the place where I buy the tires so I may test both sizes before I buy a set of either on the jeep. It is my girlfriends jeep so I don`t think 11,5" width should be a problem. It is never gonna be aired down much. I just wanted the extra 2 inches for flexing and turning radius..

I have Bushwackers on my 95 with 15x8 w/3.75" backspacing on 33x12.50s being turned by 4.10 gears. I am at about 6" of lift, but I am sure 33s will fit w/5" of lift as well. As far as backspacing goes, an 8" wheel w/3.75" will be the same on the inside as a 10" wheel w/3.75", however the outside of the wheel will be 2" farther out, understand?

yes I`m aware of that the rim will be 2" further out. Hoping that with a 11,5" wide tire I could keep them on the inside of the bushwackers. those 2 extra inches I wanted for flexing and turning was lift height, not rim size.

An 11.5" tire on a 10" wheel will look funny IMO. Also, you will stand a greater chance of un-seating a bead with that wide of a wheel. I would go with 8" if it were mine.

sivrt said:
I think it would be the width of the tires that makes the engine to lose power. Much mass to get rollin`you know.But I know a guy at the place where I buy the tires so I may test both sizes before I buy a set of either on the jeep. It is my girlfriends jeep so I don`t think 11,5" width should be a problem. It is never gonna be aired down much. I just wanted the extra 2 inches for flexing and turning radius..
Yes, the weight of the tire matters, but...the larger the diameter, the less good those 4.10's do. If you found a 35 inch tire that weighs 100lbs, and a 30 inch tire that weighs 120lbs....the heavier 30 inch tires will outrun the 35 all day long when the same gear ratio is used.

Weight is important, but you also have to consider where the weight is...rotational inertia will have a much greater effect than sheer weight. Therefor, a larger diameter tire is your enemy when it comes to acceleration because the extra mass is farther from the center of the rotational force being applied.

Sivrt, with a 32x11.50 or a 33x12.50 mounted on a 15x10 3,75" BS wheel, you will go outside the bushwacker flares. I tried the setup a few days ago.
So I come back to 15x8 with same BS.
To have the tire covered by the flares is an Italian must too.
To stay inside the flares with a 15x10 wheel, I think you can try with a 4,5" BS and not more than a 11,50 tire...but I don't think that it's a good tire/wheel combination.
Diego.

do you have any slack in that law at all? The reason i ask is that we here in Washingtons State have to have our tires covered too, but alot of people get away with it. (no inspection, cops have to notice as they drive by) but i have 33x12.50 Super Swamper SSR's on 10 wide trailready beadlocks with 4" backspace and with a 61" track width i am about 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch outside the Bushwacker flares. I added the part of the 61" trackwidth because i have a D44 front axle and i can't remember if the stock D30 is 60" or 61" wide. BTW if it will help you the flares measure 6" wide in the front and 5" wide in the rear.

Dingo

Back