• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Them dang ol' Dana 30's

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
What's the biggest tire anyone is running on a Dana 30 front end?

And those running pretty big tires what's your set-up and are you concerned about it....

I have seen guys run up to 35s with open diffs and no problems..Put a locker in though and it's a whole different story. 297 shafts makes a differance too.

GirlScout1 said:
I know someone who is running that with no problems.

I'm running that setup and have constant problems. The damn thing is cursed. I'm on my 3rd gearset and now the carrier bearings just went after 1500 miles. Either I suck at gear setups or the D30 just blows... I think i'm okay with setups though cause my 8.25/detroit is running strong after almost 9,000 miles.

hp30, 297x shafts, stock gears, lock right, 35's, beat on it just about every weekend and i havent broken anything yet. (knock on wood). i run rocks and hills too....no mud here.

Dont listen to all the people on here that tell you that you have to have 4.88's and a hp44 to run 35's on your xj.....they're all just worried about a lesser built rig going everywhere theirs does. It's kinda sad. Run whatcha brung. hasta

Last edited:
I run an hp30 with 4.88s, locker and 35" bfg muds. I have wheeled it really hard once but only on packed dirt climbs. However some of these climbs involved a whole lot of skinny pedal. No probs so far. Pretty soon I will be testing out the 30 a whole lot more. The jeep I am talking about which is currently my daily driver just got retired to trail duty only :)

My previous cherokee was on 35" swamper trxus with 4.56s, hp30 but not locked. I rockcrawled on it several times with no breakage whatsoever and lots of dune jumping and railroad track jumping (stupid teenage years LOL). No problems---------------------------Kyle

i've busted a 297 joint on mine with stock tires but i've wheeled with one person runnin 37" claws locked with no breakege, so it depends on driving style and luck

35's with a lockrite, stock gearing(next week the 4:88's go in) yukon 27 spline crmo shafts, and 760 joints.

i've seen them with 44's they were conserned about everythign inboard of the lugnuts

I am running 37 claws. well was. It took me all summer to blow up the 30. It finally went in style. I am not sure what went first, but went i pulled it apart. The bearings were i nthe bottom of the diff, the left inner axle was broke, the left side of the carrier was broke, but the gears and lockright were ok. I have been beating the thing hard all summer, but i would never let the front end hop on anything. I have just been waiting for a reason to swap i nthe new front end. Just can't decide between hp 44 thats almost done, or save time and go hp 60 now.

ipkyss said:
I am running 37 claws. well was. It took me all summer to blow up the 30. It finally went in style. I am not sure what went first, but went i pulled it apart. The bearings were i nthe bottom of the diff, the left inner axle was broke, the left side of the carrier was broke, but the gears and lockright were ok. I have been beating the thing hard all summer, but i would never let the front end hop on anything. I have just been waiting for a reason to swap i nthe new front end. Just can't decide between hp 44 thats almost done, or save time and go hp 60 now.
geez took long enough :D plus i'd say 60 but thats my 2cents

olivedrabcj7 said:
hp30, 297x shafts, stock gears, lock right, 35's, beat on it just about every weekend and i havent broken anything yet. (knock on wood). i run rocks and hills too....no mud here.

Dont listen to all the people on here that tell you that you have to have 4.88's and a hp44 to run 35's on your xj.....they're all just worried about a lesser built rig going everywhere theirs does. It's kinda sad. Run whatcha brung. hasta

I totally agree that you dont need 4.88's and an HP44 to run 35's, at the same time i would never recomend running them with a LP30, 3.55's a vacum disco and 260 joints

I run 35's on a HP30 with 4.88's and a full detroit, stock shafts with welded caps. I wheel it hard. I carry spare shafts but really im not to worried about the whole setup. If i need gas i try to make sure the wheel is strait, other than that i dont wory about it.

I ran 35" BfG muds on 3:55 , auto, 297's , stock shafts

009_17A%20copy.jpg

all over Moab and never broke ..I didnt baby it but then again I didnt back down from anything..pritchett,lower Hel., moab rim etc..

A guy in our club runs 36's auto 4:56 stock shafts, 297's
he is chopped and carrys bare esentials ie tools and 2 sets of shafts..

in the fall Im gonna run
yukon alloys , ox u joints 4:88 and 35" procomps MT
when I blow up the carrier I decide whether or not to build a 44

Last edited:
Timmay said:
I'm running that setup and have constant problems. The damn thing is cursed. I'm on my 3rd gearset and now the carrier bearings just went after 1500 miles. Either I suck at gear setups or the D30 just blows... I think i'm okay with setups though cause my 8.25/detroit is running strong after almost 9,000 miles.

ahh .........1 out of four isnt too bad I guess :laugh3:

VegasAnthony said:
in the fall Im gonna run
yukon alloys , ox u joints 4:88 and 35" procomps MT

IMO, stay away from the Pro-comp MT's, I run them and HATE them, waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I do run 35's on 297 shafts, 4.56, and locked. Broke a carrier, but no axles..

Back