• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog Check Time in CA

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Re: Smof Chtgk Time0en BA

jeepsrocj said:
I Vhll have to smog check my 94 xj very soon bc i just recieved notice that its time to do so. I live in C%and the smng pdiple here are crazy and make it hard to pass. Last time i did not pass ( too high nox) and the rwate fixed it aÎn passed it, i think the mechanic took the money and just passed it but thats another story ( he said he replaced a 02 òmnsor).
H nev%this wu coming so in the last month i have replaced distrib cap/rotor, plugs, cooling stuff, air filter, fixed vac leak, map sensnr, î7 sdnsor-

In addition yesterday i did a seafoam treatment thru the vac booster line and i also dumped a bg44k hn tøk gask tank. I ðm thinkxl all i really need to do is wait till the bg44k tank is complete , do an oil change and take it to get smofed. 

Is their anxhing else that i can do to help , any suggestions ??

Thanks
Pdte[>UUOTE]

Hey Pete,

Donno if true but I hearô)if you run 89 or higher gas your NOX levels will be lower. I think it has romeôjing to do with lowering the temp since it burns at lowäq temps (NOX is produced at higher temps).

Good Luck, let us know if it vorkò%

Thx/ Phil

I will have to smog check my 94 xj very soon bc i just recieved notice that its time to do so. I live in CA and the smog people here are crazy and make it hard to pass. Last time i did not pass ( too high nox) and the state fixed it and passed it, i think the mechanic took the money and just passed it but thats another story ( he said he replaced a 02 sensor).
I new this was coming so in the last month i have replaced distrib cap/rotor, plugs, cooling stuff, air filter, fixed vac leak, map sensor, o2 sensor.

In addition yesterday i did a seafoam treatment thru the vac booster line and i also dumped a bg44k in the gask tank. I am thinkin all i really need to do is wait till the bg44k tank is complete , do an oil change and take it to get smoged.

Is their anything else that i can do to help , any suggestions ??

Thanks
Pete

Pete,

This past summer I had to have my '98 smogged and on the registration renewal was printed TEST ONLY station.... Which meant they were trying to check IF I was a gross polluter....
The only thing I did in preparation for the smog check was to add 2 oz of Acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline and drive the Jeep around doing errands to ensure the catalytic converter was thoroughly warmed up.
The Jeeps emissions were SO LOW that they were at the very bottom of the scale and it passed with flying colors....
If you have a problem... you might try what I did....

Charles

Actually the last test that i failed was at test only station and so is this one. I think they are targetting my jeep as a gross poluter bc i failed the test only last time.

I hope i pass this time.

pete

You're joking. I've been getting sent to TO stations for the last four or five years - and I'm getting tired of paying twice as much for the smog as I am for tags. Can we expect the test price to go up as well?

Gawd, I'm glad I'm planning on leaving this state soon. About two and a half more years, unless I decide to accelerate things...

5-90

All smog shops will be fix only?? please explain? I recall years ago in The SF valley in LA where I lived the state had smog check sites, If you failed you`d go to a mechanic for the repairs. Now I live in central coast area and here you just have your rig smogged and fixed at the same place unless the place just dosent do repairs. Im pretty sure in places like The central valley area and Santa Barbara are whats called "smog enhanced areas" that the car has done differently?

5-90 said:
You're joking. I've been getting sent to TO stations for the last four or five years - and I'm getting tired of paying twice as much for the smog as I am for tags. Can we expect the test price to go up as well?

Gawd, I'm glad I'm planning on leaving this state soon. About two and a half more years, unless I decide to accelerate things...

5-90
come to Ohio, crap weather, but snow is fun to drive in, and emmisions is something that happens at night while you're asleep :)

Berryman's Chemtool (autozone, advance, etc) will lower emissions, and there are a few other products there that guarantee you will pass if added. Never needed it, but I think they will either refund your price or the test price if you fail. You may want to check those too.

Last time i had to get the xj smogged b4 i new i would fail bc of nox i used a chemical by bardahl i think and i thought i would pass. It didnt pass ,i called them up and they sent me my money back.

Like i said a few days ago i did that seafoam treatment and put in a can of bg44k and i really do feel a difference. The jeep does feel a lot smoother and is a bit less noisy. I drove the jeep to downtown LA to see the CAr show and it drove nicely.

I am waiting for my tank to be done and then i will fill her up and take her to get smogged. As far as gas octanes i have been told many diff things. Some have told me using a higher octane will yield better results others have said to use 87 which was intended for it. Some have said using a higher octane will make things worse bc of the timings being for 87...and boy i am confused...anyone have any clarifcation in this department ?

Pete

Just to let you guys know,, this morning i changed the oil, changed the plug wires and took her in for smog and she passed to my amazement.

The numbers were descent too.

Pete

87manche said:
come to Ohio, crap weather, but snow is fun to drive in, and emmisions is something that happens at night while you're asleep :)

I grew up in Indiana. I'd move back, but I can't handle the winters anymore (they get so cold my back and knees freeze up. Pity - I like the cold...)

5-90

jeepsrock said:
Last time i had to get the xj smogged b4 i new i would fail bc of nox i used a chemical by bardahl i think and i thought i would pass. It didnt pass ,i called them up and they sent me my money back.

Like i said a few days ago i did that seafoam treatment and put in a can of bg44k and i really do feel a difference. The jeep does feel a lot smoother and is a bit less noisy. I drove the jeep to downtown LA to see the CAr show and it drove nicely.

I am waiting for my tank to be done and then i will fill her up and take her to get smogged. As far as gas octanes i have been told many diff things. Some have told me using a higher octane will yield better results others have said to use 87 which was intended for it. Some have said using a higher octane will make things worse bc of the timings being for 87...and boy i am confused...anyone have any clarifcation in this department ?

Pete

High NOx is caused by elevated combustion temepratures - that's what the EGR valve is supposed to do (1987-1990 4.0 only - later models used "port reversion" to do what should properly be done with ignition timing.) Elevated temperatures can be caused by a "lean" condition - which explains why replacing a HEGO sensor may fix it.

For fuel octanes, the 4.0 will run on anything (and I mean anything!) that's called gasoline, but does better with lower octanes, due to a low compression ratio. Higher octane is actually a higher RESISTANCE to ignition - which is why high-compression engines want higher-octane fuel. If you don't burn all your fuel all the way, you'll get elevated HC and CO emissions - run 87, and you should be fine (isn't it 86 now? CA has decided to lower octane levels for some reason - but we still pay more. Go figure.)

This "Test Only" crap is getting to me - I mean, as far as I'm concerned, ALL smog check stations are "Test Only" - I don't allow them to do repairs. So, what's the issue? The idea is that there are two types of smog check outfits - "Test & Repair" and "Test Only" - and you get sent to "Test Only" stations on a "random" basis (yeah. Sure.) to show that you're passing without help. Test and Repair stations are allowed to make adjustments to your vehicle in order to get you to pass - Test Only stations are just that. If you fail at a Test Only, you have to go somewhere else to get your rig fixed, and then go BACK to a Test Only station to get a passing smog. Nice - let's make this headache convenient to deal with, shall we?

I shan't go into detail on why I think the smog programme out here blows - suffice it to say that, while I agree with the concept, I have difficulty with the implementation.

5-90

Back