• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheapest way to get my spare outta my trunk!?

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys..i have a 95 2 door XJ on a mixed skyjacker/tomken 3" lift..im on 31s now and im lookin for a way to get my spare out of my trunk to free up some space back there/be able to accommodate a 31" spare..i dont want it stuffed on the stock mount so that the seat is pushed up..cause when i wheel, i take lotsa friends, and lotsa crap..plus it looks cool on the outside haha..im a college kid who cant afford a whole heck of alot..any suggestions?..bumpers=alot of green stuff..looked at the rockratz rooftop carrier but for 150 bucks, but thats halfway to the price of a bumper..mopar carriers are too hard to find too..junkyard and stealership with no results..so im stumped..(im staying away from ratchet strapping it on the roof by the way haha)..thanks folks

cheapest way would be to strap it to the top i guess. though you make yourself mor top heavy raising you CoG

Spare on the roof hurts mileage and center of gravity. Do you have a rear hitch? If you do, get or make a rear hitch mount. Something like I made (course if I had to do it over again, it would be a swing out hitch mount).

100_0469.jpg

100_0396.jpg

any swing out hitch mounts available aftermarket?..never welded in my life and i happen to cherish my life..someday ill do some fab work but for now ill stick to calc problems...after the hitch mount's on how did you attach your plate?

You might google hitch tire mount or something to that effect. I think there is one on the market that swings down.

dirtdogger17 said:
ahh nice..thanks alot.any other suggestions?
Thanks alot guys

1. Leave it home and carry a patch kit and air compressor.
2. Rig up a tall/skinny spare tire & wheel that is close to the same diameter as your tires

Back