• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ft. Driveshaft CV Joint "Dumb Center" Repairs & Parts

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the (2) u-joints in my constant velocity joint at the rear of my front drive shaft and discovered the "dust boot" over the rear end (that is, the end closest to the t-case) of the dumb-center (or ball & socket) sub assembly should be replaced. The difficulty is my ball & socket is fine. Just the dust cover needs to be replaced. It appears you cannot get the dust boot alone from either the dealer or aftermarket parts stores.

No aftermarket kits (~$55) feature this dust cover and the dealer kit (~$126) may have this dust boot but it's difficult to tell from their microfiche.

All of the repair shops I spoke w/stated they never replace this dust boot when replacing the dumb-center and claimed only large ampounts of off-raod use would require protecting the dumb-center

What have you used to replace this dust boot with?

Has anyone here dealt w/a driveshaft building or repair facility that has identified a suitable replacement for the original part?

I cannot be alone in this! I refuse to believe it!

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
Okay Guys,

I'm responding to my own thread? What gives?

I examined this joint better yesterday afternoon. The protective part I'm looking for appears to be well described as a flat metal washer that is likely to be pressed on the rear end of the front drive shaft.

Here are some observations:
1) This "washer" is round and flat on the back (or drive shaft end) and it does feature a hole in the center to accommodate the rotation "spindle" on the rear end of the front drive shaft. This appears to require pressing onto the end of the front drive shaft. In turn, my guess is that you damage it when removing it from the drive shaft. Hence, no reuse of the exisiting part; only replacement!

2) The rubber sidewalls appear to be molded onto the metal washer base. The ball & socket assembly is protected from road grime, mud, etc., with this part mounted on the rear end of the front drive shaft as the recirculating ball assembly fits within the diameter formed by the rubber walls of this boot. The seal that is part of the ball & socket does not protect the sub assembly!

3) The opposite (or inside) of this protective boot features nicely radiused inner & outer corners that rise up to the rubber walls. Since it's a joint it requires machined surfaces.

Anyone understand what I'm talking about yet? It is difficult to see all of this with the drive shaft installed as it sits in between the (2) universal joints that comprise the CV joint. The best way to learn about what I'm talking about is when it is time to replace the universal joints in the CV joint section of your front drive shaft.

I have confirmed this part does not appear to be available on the aftermarket. However, it may be available in the dealer replacement kit. I'll notify the board when I learn this to be true.

Thanks,

Rick

You Losers!

No one responded? I FOUND IT! Moreover, I'm happy to share the solution w/you.

The part I've been searching for is well-known in the drive shaft repair industry as a "slinger."

Regardless of the part details, I was able to find this part w/a Google search for "driveshaft repair" as the keyword. The first url I checked resulted in finding a company in Green Bay Wisconsin that knew exactly what part I needed, has them in stock for $3.25 and will ship (2) to me ASAP. Here is there url:

http://www.machineservice.com/

I spoke w/Mitch and he was happy to help me out!

Remember to check this protective boot each time you have your front drive shaft removed from the vehicle.

Good Luck,

Rick

Last edited:
I've had some people argue that you need the boot and others that you don't. Actually, I've even had the drive shaft pro's say you don't need it if you keep the joint regularily greased.

The OEM CV does not come with a grease port and all the replacements I've seen do.

The theory is, most folks that JUST drive their Jeeps don't keep things properly greased, so the boot help retains the grease and retard the entrance of contaminants. So, when it goes bad, just replace.

Others feel that even if kept properly greased, the boot will retain contaminants, so why have it.

I didn't replace mine and have yet to have any problems. But then again, I grease my entire vehicle at the end of every trail day.

So, I guess the decision is up to you.

Here is an aftermarket site that carries them http://rockforddriveline.com/1310pg4.htm

rstarch345,

Thanks for the useful input. It helped too.

Your point regarding replacement is well put. I just prefer to make this a serviceable item.

Thanks again,

Rick

Back