• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pressure too high

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
My pressure it at 50 PSI at idle, my book says it should be 31 PSI. What are my options besides fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks
Brian
96 cherokee sport 4X4 4.0
65 mustang 347 5 speed

IIRC when you pinch off the return line the pressure will jump, 90 PSI when totally blocked I think. I would look into a partial blockage situation first. If no blockage then I would replace the regulator. Good Luck.

Woody

Curious to know, I don't have enough experience with Jeeps yet, but I know some F.I. motorcycles will blow the fuel filter apart at the seam when the return line is kinked/dis-connected/or otherwise blocked!Anyone had this problem? Probably wouldn't hurt to replace anyways, once you find & fix the culprit! Happy wheelin'!

You will have about 50 if you don't have vacuum hooked to the regulator. Verify that vacuum. If it is good, then it is most likely the regulator.

my65289stang said:
My pressure it at 50 PSI at idle, my book says it should be 31 PSI. What are my options besides fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks
Brian
96 cherokee sport 4X4 4.0
65 mustang 347 5 speed

'96 was a crossover year to OBD II so if that's the engine management system that you have, the fuel pressure should be 49psi with the vacuum disconnected from the regulator. Maybe a disconnection is the problem.
OBD I Jeeps should have a 31psi fuel pressure with vacuum attached and 39psi when disconnected. If yours is OBD I (unlikely), the problem is a faulty regulator (it'll be on the front end of the fuel rail if it's OBD I).

Back