• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switch

Kingfish

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a switch that will turn off when 12v power is applied. What I am doing is hooking up a switch to lock the Torque Converter. I want the switch to be turned off automatically when the brakes are pressed so I don't accidentally stop the truck with the converter locked. I thougth about using a low amperage auto-resetting curcuit breaker and a relay(to provide a high current source) but I am afraid it would not stand up to very many cycles and I don't know of one that has a switch built in.

So, does anyone know of a switch that will turn off when power is applied?

Thanks

'90 XJ 4.0 Auto

Use a switch and a relay.

Use the relay's normally open contacts to control lock-up, the switch goes in series with the coil -- one lead of the switch goes to 12v, one lead of the relay coil goes to the WT/PNK wire coming from the brake switch(to the TCU).

Lou said:
Use a switch and a relay.

Use the relay's normally open contacts to control lock-up, the switch goes in series with the coil -- one lead of the switch goes to 12v, one lead of the relay coil goes to the WT/PNK wire coming from the brake switch(to the TCU).

Thanks a bunch for the reply.
I thought about doing that. The problem is that that solution is that it would only cut power while power is applied. In my situation the converter would lock back when I let off the brakes....Not a good idea.

If you know electronics....use an SCR to drive the relay coil. Switch drives the gate.

Or, as suggested below the latching relay.

google a "power latch relay" Pretty simple to build Will do what you want, and you could unlatch it from the 12V going from the brake switch

You need...
1-N.O. Momentary switch
1-SPDT relay
1-DPDT relay
Then you just have to reset it when you need it!

How long do you need the conveter off for?
Why not try a relay with pulse timer, That way you could set the length of time the converter is off from 1 min to 99 minutes.

Check you local Radio Shack. They have many small switches. I'm shure you find what your looking for. In fact I'm thinking of one that should work, but I don't know the part number.

Back