• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, guage lights out, keyless entry? and some other stuff

danny_v_l

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, wats up, ok so i have a beat up 87 wagoneer, it has power locks, power doors, and power mirrors. I get a headunit for my b-day last year and me and my father wire it and all the sudden my mirrors don't work... i fixed them, but thats latter. My buddy sold me his 88 cherokee for $350 as a parts car. It has power seats, and the little plastic dome for the keyless entry, i took off the power seat brackets and put them on my car. I wired the seats and the mirrors directly to the battery, so i can use them when the car is off, i also have 4 6" driving lkights on the top of my car hooked up the same way. so the day i decide to hook it all up at my dads office every thing works seats mirrors lights, as i leave (at night) i turn on my head lights and see no insterment pannel lights on. So i say to myself ok blown fuse, i check them ALLL, and none are blown. Any one have any idea whats going on here. Oh and also i searched on the remote entry but came up with no useful results, i was wondering if i took out the box inbetween the sun visors and put it in my car and hooked it up to my keyless entry kit, would it work, like use this as a guide http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54219&highlight=keyless+entry, although my little box dosn't look like that, maybecause its a different year. Thanks guys, and sorry if there is alot of un-needed stuff in there

You wouldn't happen to have the brightness turned down, would you?

If you don't already have a keyless entry system, there is alot more parts and work than is depicted in that thread.

As for the gauge / instrument panel lights being out, turn them on and get outside the car, and check whether the tails are on. If not, squirrel your hand up behind the dash directly behind the headlight switch, feel around until youve got the back of the switch (~1.5" x 2.5") and check to see that both the ground (back) and the main connector (top) are securely in place, wiggle them a bit and see if the lights pop on. I have had that happen a few times, and every time i just reach up behind there and shake it around until they work again.

JoeShmo said:
As for the gauge / instrument panel lights being out, turn them on and get outside the car, and check whether the tails are on. If not, squirrel your hand up behind the dash directly behind the headlight switch, feel around until youve got the back of the switch (~1.5" x 2.5") and check to see that both the ground (back) and the main connector (top) are securely in place, wiggle them a bit and see if the lights pop on. I have had that happen a few times, and every time i just reach up behind there and shake it around until they work again.

That or replace the switch. It is a open switch and if the coil or the metal tab that connects to the coil becomes bent it will not work in dimmer mode.

ok thanx will try that tomarrow, i'm i just turning the knob so my dome lights are on, or am i pulling it out and turning on the headlights, or doing both, thanks again

Back