• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did these come in jeeps?

Technically, no.

The M715 was made by Kaiser, who at the time owned Jeep. There was never a Jeep M715.

The corresponding J-series Jeep trucks, to the best of my knowledge, didn't use a divorced transfer case.

Erik

Riiiiiiight....

brandonwildes49rx.jpg

By that rationale, your XJ is either an AMC or a Chryco vehicle, not a Jeep.

Last edited:
Mikel said:
Riiiiiiight.... I wonder how the one foot tall J-E-E-P lettering appeared in my M715's tailgate.

By that rationale, your XJ is either an AMC or a Chryco vehicle, not a Jeep.

My XJ is a Jeep. Since it is the registered Trademark that it was built under. Regardless of who the parent company is. My 71 CJ-5 is a Jeep, although the Jeep name was owned by AMC at the time, but AMC was still using the Kaiser design plans.

Just because they used the Jeep tailgate doesn't make it a Jeep, anymore than the Buick 225 in my CJ-5 making it a buick.

By your way of thinking, then a Lamborghini is a VW. A Cadillac is a Chevrolet. A Land Rover is a ...... Ford.

I have never seen a M715 reffered to as a Jeep M715, it's a Kaiser M715.

That is why I said "technically". Read it correctly the first time.

Last edited:
Edited the post too late (That's not my M715)

If you are refering to the creation of AM General, that happened after the M715.

If you have ever wrenched on a M715, you will see that it has a wee bit more in common with FSJ's than the tailgate. I have a M715, a '63 J300 and have owned a few J4000's. My M715's data plates say: "MFD. BY KAISER JEEP CORPORATION". My J300 says "Willys Jeep" (even though by '63 it was owned by Kaiser already). And my 95 XJ has pentastars everywhere. Your point?

not worth the arguement or thought anymore
Fine you're right, does it make you feel better?

G'nite

Good night.

And yes, Jeep did use a divorced transfer case :)

I've seen that term "divorced" thrown around but never asked what it means in terms of this discussion. So for the always learning human, what does that mean?
Brett

bretto said:
I've seen that term "divorced" thrown around but never asked what it means in terms of this discussion. So for the always learning human, what does that mean?
Brett

Divorced transfer case means that it was not mounted to the transmission. The transmission had a tailshaft with a yoke, then a connecting driveshaft to the input of the transfer case.

In this pic, the tranmission is on the far left.

PIC00016.jpg

Thanks, now I can win half the battle with that knowledge.

Back