• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you guys think of this ebay bumper?

I don't think it's arip off, but not the best one I've seen out there. I'm gessing he is just using the factory bumper mounting locations which isn't strong enough for a tire carying hitch bumper with recovery shackles just welded to it. It would probibly be fine for a mall crawler though

scoobyxj said:
I'm gessing he is just using the factory bumper mounting locations which isn't strong enough for a tire carying hitch bumper with recovery shackles just welded to it.

i second that..

factory mounts are crap for mounting anything substatial to.

that e-bay price for that would be a good start, then grind off some paint and weld on some reinforcemnt bracketry to the lower portion of the *frame*

yea those mount locations dont look strong enough. Probobly just stock mount locations as said above. They just dont have the support. Plus its just ugly.

You can deffinatly find a better bumper. Especially for that amount of cash. I like that rustys bumper :D

i'm concerned about the tire carrier itself. the tubing looks way too small for anything big. it may not be noisy but the back/forth movement and vibration will weaken that small A-frame. and the hinge is just a peice of steel with a pipe over it.

it would probably be ok for a 31" but thats probably it. the best hinges are machines bronze or an adapted trailer hub spindle. its a good idea he has but not beefy enough to take the constant shaking of off-road use. if he had a unique mounting system i am sure he would advertise it. so its likely just the stock location.

The one on the black XJ looks nice and I agree with sid on the size of materials for the carrier. I would also be interested to know what materials he uses over all. Weather it's 1/8 or 3/16. I think for $275 it's nice and for a few bucks more you could make tie-in brackets for it. I wouldn't compare the on on Rusty's though..its a Wilderness. Totally different and alot more money.

thats an awome bumper BUT its a front bumber :) not a rear like the others.

I still plan to contact AJ in the spring for one of his sexy bumpers. Front and rear.

looks like he has good prices, but i would definately want to know more about the hinge, and the clasp/fastener for the rear swing out. Cant have it squeeking all day or it would drive me nuts anyways. No rattles is worth a couple hundred bucks premiun in my opinion.

Also more bolts over more surface means all the difference in the world, on a swing out because of the great amount of leverage it puts on the rear corner. If you get the ebay bumper, add more attacment points. In his ebay Q&aA section it says he uses 8 bolts.

I personally am in love with the ridgid rear swing out its $500 loaded and has lots of great reviews and looks stout as hell with everysingle hole in the rear utilized (i think it is 24 bolts i cant remember and dont see it on his website).
If you can afford $500 even i think terry at ridgid.com has the best rear swing out, and the best value out there today.

If you buy this ebay bumper be sure to review it for us.

edit: upon more reading this CRB bumper is $395:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...PageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

"This auction is for a Rear bumper for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ's. This auction includes the bumper and tire carrier. Bumper includes the reciever and Clevis mounts (pictured) *OR* "D-ring" shackles. If you wish to have clevis mounts instead of D-Ring shackles add $15. The tire carrier includes mounts for 2 gerry cans and a hilift jack (Hilift jack, gerry cans and straps for the cans are not included). Bumpers are customizable the way you want. Just email me with any questions you have. Please click on the links below to see more pictures of this and many other products that are available. "

Unless Terry raised the prices in the last few months you can get the d rings, jerry can and hilift holder for his $500 price. Maybe i am wrong, in which case i should be quickly and thoroughly flamed and correct :lecture: For only a $100 more i would really consider ridgid rear swingout.

Last edited:
Back