• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D 44 questions....

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
Ok I have all of the brackets built and welded on.
I got 2 MASTER INSTALL kits from a parts wearhouse, $75.00 each.
Last night I took the axles, the gears, the locker and spool and the MASTER INSTALL kits over to the installer.
No crush sleaves in the kits, the 80 -84 Waggy axles do not use crush sleaves right, it was not untill the mid '90s that they were used, right?
No shims, That is pissing me off! What kind of MASTER INSTALL kit does not include shims?
No inner seals, see comment above...
Am I right on the crush sleave?
Where do I get shims?
I have called every parts house in town and no one knows, This is not a small town metro pop of 300,000.
I called three dealers no one. WTF.

One more thing...One of the places told me it could be one of TWELVE different install kits,
for an 80 - 84 Waggy??
Could that be true?

Last edited:
Do yourselves a favor....
Call Gus at Randy's Ring and Pinion, he will send you the WHOLE COMPLETE MASTER INSTALL KIT in a UPS truck the next day, if you want!

12 different types of install kits for an 80 - 84 Waggy?
someone was puffing the crack pipe at lunch!

Fawk Shopping Local!

I am now a web shopper and a web wheeler!

Correct, no crush sleeves on waggys. As for what kind of kit has no seals or shims, I guess the kind you get at a discount warehouse. :laugh3:

I called Randy's R&P and got hooked up pretty quick, but they did have three different kits for the waggy, a true "master", one without side seals, and one without seals or shims. Randy's charged me $100 for the true master kit...

Your whole problem is midwest guys don't know gears. :D

Crush sleeves are used in the TJ 44's and maybe vette's and that aluminum grand cherokee.

I watch the install kits closely. A lot of places skimp on those.

I use crush sleeves in any D44 that I setup regardless of what the diff it came out of. Its a lot easier than shimming it. I order one from an '86 Ramcharger if the parts guy starts looking at me funny.

Back