• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U Joints For 94 Cherokee

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and just have become a bit more confused . So i am hoping this might clarify it a bit more for me.

In the past i have used for the Front and Rear Driveshaft Spicer greasbale 5-153x Ujoints (3 for the f d/s and 2 for the rear) . I am trying to replace the ujoints on the front wheel joints but am very confused by all the numbers. Some mention 760,260,297,154 and i am not really sure what i need.

I am not looking for an upgrade but for a repalcement. The jeep is a 94 xj without ABS and without a vac disco.

thanks for your time in advance
PEte

My local napa does not stock spicers anymore and he says that napa wont be able to get a hold of spicer ujoints anymore. All he has are house brand units. My local kragen sells GMB and possibily neapco but they use a different number system. Do u have any idea what this number translates too in other brands ?

Also for my own knowledge what is the difference and usages of 260 compared to the 297 and 760.

I know i may be stretchin it but i like to know stuff.

Pete

Jeepsrock,

The front axle U-joints changed from the 260 to the 297 around '94.
The difference between them is the diameter of the Cups. The 297 Cup has a larger diameter which means the ears on the axle where the cups fit into are larger also. The 260 axles can be swapped out for the larger 297 axles.....
The 760 U-joint is an upgrade to the 297 where the trunions were stronger and the seals & grease were better.

Charles

Last edited:
I didnt mention this bc i didnt think it would make a difference but my front axle came out of a 93 cherokee. Originally my cherokee was a 2wd and i converted it from a 4wd 93.

So are you saying since mine is a 93 it most likely has the 260s ?

thanks
Pete

Lay a tape measure across one of the caps. A 260 is 1 1/16". And a 297/760 is 1 3/16".

Well the ujoints that are in there currently may have been replaced, and i am not sure if theya re the correct ones. So would it be ok for me to measure the openings for the ujoints ??

Also anyone know a source for spicer joints online cheaply ?

pete

Last edited:
jeepsrock said:
Well the ujoints that are in there currently may have been replaced, and i am not sure if theya re the correct ones. So would it be ok for me to measure the openings for the ujoints ??

Also anyone know a source for spicer joints online cheaply ?

pete
If they fit the yokes in the axle, they're the right ones (for that axleshaft). Measure 'em and see what size they are. As xjohnnyc already said, lay a tape measure across one of the caps. A 260 is 1 1/16". And a 297/760 is 1 3/16". Use that as the basis to reorder.

My local NAPA could still order Spicer joints as of about two months ago; you sure they aren't just blowing smoke? Their Neapco joints are supposed to be pretty strong anyway though.

Online - check out some of the driveshaft and gear places like www.4xshaft.com and www.ringpinion.com I suppose.

Any local place that services trucks should have them or be able to get Spicer parts.

always use spicer parts, its like cheap insurance.

Call unitrax and see if they will send ya them. 714-630-4327 the larger 760's are only like 17$ so the 260's should be like 17 shipped to ya even.

yardape said:
Any local place that services trucks should have them or be able to get Spicer parts.

Correction: Any local place that sells truck parts should have them or be able to get Spicer parts.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreicate them. I will measure it out this weekend when i have a chance..

I contacted unitrax and they wanted 26$ per joint and 8-10$ shipping for them.
I tried other napas and they want 35$ per joint to order them as they dont stock them.
I called wenco drivelines and they want 48$ plus tax.. funny huh..

Anyone have any ther cheaper sources for these 260 joints, i will keep calling tom.

pete

jeepsrock said:
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreicate them. I will measure it out this weekend when i have a chance..

I tried other napas and they want 35$ per joint to order them as they dont stock them.
I called wenco drivelines and they want 48$ plus tax.. funny huh..

Anyone have any ther cheaper sources for these 260 joints, i will keep calling tom.

pete
try 4 wheel parts: last time I checked they wanted only about $22 and you can pick them up from the store to save on shipping

I bought a pair for 40.00 shiped on ebay - for 760x's....

jeepsrock said:

pete

That is very hard to believe! I walk in and thier between 15 and 18$ depending on the direction of the wind it seems.

I will buy them and ship em to ya at what ever they cost and put them in a piority box at like 3$ shipping if you like...

Thanks robert, its very funny this weekend i drove to san diego and stopped at unitrax since it was on the way and i found out they werent open on the weekends..lol..

Anyway i will call drivetrain direct tom and let you know, i might take you up on your offer.

pete

Back