• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lookin' at 88 comanche.

xjtr0gg

NAXJA Forum User
'Ello all.

So in my search for a XJ I came across a comanche for sale. Its an 88 with the 2.5l 4 and a four speed (I assume AX4). It has 115k on the clock and seems to be in good shape. The inside of the bed is a little scratched and banged up but thats it. Said a lady owned it who had the upper engine rebuilt about 10k ago and had the lower end rebuilt under 1k ago. He also said the clutch was replaced. Problem is no paper work to prove said repairs.
It appears to be in good shape and I realize its kind of rare to find a low mileage mj that hasnt been beat to hell and back but he seems to be askin a little much. He wants 2500 for it, I offered 1700 and he said he wouldnt go below 2300. What is a good price for a base model 88 mj in southern Arizona. Any idea or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
joe

That's pretty freakin' steep for an 88 with a 4-banger.

I don't care how good of shape it's in... 2300 is VERY overpriced.

If it had a 4.0, was mint, and had either an AW4 or AX-15, it MIGHT be worth 2300...

I'd look elsewhere.

Try...

Kelley Blue Book

NADA

FYI...I checked KBB for the private party value of an 88 Comanche, short bed, 4 cyl., 4-speed, with no options (because you didn't mention any) and 115000 miles.

$800

In EXCELLENT condition.

I bought an 87, 4.0 4x4 5spd with a newer paint job and newer engine for 1500 bucks cash. Need an ax-15 for it, but 2300 seems high. Hell, I thought that mine was even overpriced, but I just HAD to have it :)

89 2x4 MJ 4 cyl, sold for 700.00 114,000

87 4x4 6cyl bought for 400.00 209,000

89 2x4 6 cyl bought for 800.00 101,000

they are way out of line unless it is totally pristine

Does he understand that the comanche is from 1988 and we are now in the year 2006? Does he also understand its a 4banger?

2500 is what i payed for my 96 chero with everything except overhead console. Tell him he is out of his freakin mind to be askin that much. Offer him... 1000 if he doesnt take it screw him and find a better deal..

prb24 said:
Try...

Kelley Blue Book

NADA

FYI...I checked KBB for the private party value of an 88 Comanche, short bed, 4 cyl., 4-speed, with no options (because you didn't mention any) and 115000 miles.

$800

In EXCELLENT condition.

WOW, That's a BIG difference. I'm shocked someone would ask that much over.

Just paid $2,800 for an 90 4X4 with 4.0 and aw4, long-bed with 208k. Over-priced, but I HAD to have an MJ, and had been looking for a year! I also have an 89 XJ sitting in the driveway with a 70k donor motor, tranny, and transfer, so I wasn't worried about the mileage. I don't know where all these $700 jobs were when I was looking, guess I wasn't trying hard enough (ha,ha)!

Last edited:
90MJ242 said:
Just paid $2,800 for an 90 4X4 with 4.0 and aw4, long-bed with 208k. Over-priced, but I HAD to have an MJ, and had been looking for a year! I also have an 89 XJ sitting in the driveway with a 70k donor motor, tranny, and transfer, so I wasn't worried about the mileage. I don't know where all these $700 jobs were when I was looking, guess I wasn't trying hard enough (ha,ha)!

one born every minute.............

Cute, really makes a guy want to join NAXJA! Anyway.....
I guess my point was that Blue book value is great for comparing Honda Civics, Ford pickups, or any other dime-a-dozen type vehicles. But MJs are pretty rare, at least here in the Northeast, so if you want one badly enough, then it is worth what the market will bear. And based on the 10 or so vehicles that I looked at in the past year, $1000 buys you something with a glove box full of water, a seized AC compressor, a mis-firing 2.8V6, non-functional 4wd, and a leaking radiator. $2k+ seems to be the going rate for a straight, solid,87-up 4.0 6 cyl 4X4 around here, and I've seen several for $4000-$5000. In any event, I consider it money well spent, I love my Comanche and would do it again. Happy wheelin', boys!!

90MJ242 said:
Cute, really makes a guy want to join NAXJA! Anyway.....
I guess my point was that Blue book value is great for comparing Honda Civics, Ford pickups, or any other dime-a-dozen type vehicles. But MJs are pretty rare, at least here in the Northeast, so if you want one badly enough, then it is worth what the market will bear. And based on the 10 or so vehicles that I looked at in the past year, $1000 buys you something with a glove box full of water, a seized AC compressor, a mis-firing 2.8V6, non-functional 4wd, and a leaking radiator. $2k+ seems to be the going rate for a straight, solid,87-up 4.0 6 cyl 4X4 around here, and I've seen several for $4000-$5000. In any event, I consider it money well spent, I love my Comanche and would do it again. Happy wheelin', boys!!

If you are gonna be a part of any wheelin group you need to lighten up a tad, its all meant in fun

If prices are 3x retail in New York Id suggest next time to go to another state.. Mj's are not as rare as you let on.

anyway sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

No feathers ruffled. The "anyways....." was follwed by an implied snare/cymbal badump-bump! New York sarcasm is often mistaken for pained indignation (he,he). I found some nice examples in Indiana ($900 for a 2wd shortbed), Ohio ($1400 for a 4wd w/ 200k), Rhode Island ($1600 for a 2wd w/140K), and North Carolina. But the cost of getting the unit back to New York, either by transporter truck or by the "fly-out/drive back" method put me back at $2k, not to mention the time and $$ necessary to convert 2wd to 4wd. The end result was, I got the exact truck I wanted, and if I overspent a little, it is still better than some of the other ways I have wasted money in the past. You know, drugs, bad comedy shows......
Happy wheelin'!

I think it is a fair price. I paid $1700 for mine. 88 2.5 4x4 ax4 No AC and add on powersteering 113k.Bench seat and rubber floor. Had a rough country 3" lift and bfg mt 31 10.50 15's on it. Had some light body damage on the Rockers but NO RUST!! There are a lot of MJ's in NC but the hard part is finding a non ragged out one, and someone that is willing to sell it! So keep this in mind

Buy it and enjoy. I paid $1000.00 for my 89 Limited I now have close to $3800.00 in it. It's been fun and I still need lockers and gears.

Synonym - The word you use instead of the one you can't spell.

helix said:
Does he understand that the comanche is from 1988 and we are now in the year 2006? Does he also understand its a 4banger?

Tell him he is out of his freakin mind to be askin that much. Offer him... 1000 if he doesnt take it screw him and find a better deal..

yeah X2!

For anybody who is interested: I have a 1989 Jeep Comanche 4x4, 4.0, 5spd, SWB, bucket seats, red with gray interior that I am looking to sell. NO RUST on body. looking to get $1700 OBO.

just send a PM or email to [email protected] for pics.

located in Cleveland, GA

Back