• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preventive Maintenance

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
My 99XJ has 133K and I since it is our "travel" car, I am concerned about the stuff that could go wrong.
I have not seen a good summary about the life expectancy of certain parts. I suggest we make a list like this. How do we go about it and where do we post it?
In my case from all posts that I read (and I spent tons of time here in the last three months) I need to replace the following items to make sure that there would be no surprizes on my trips:
Fuel Pump
Harmonic Balancer
Oil Pump
Water Pump
Is this list complete and what would you add to it?
Thanks
Boris

I actually would not put these things on my list if they are working all right now. If the water pump is at all iffy, I would do that, because waterpumps are cheap enough, but even that could last a very long time yet. The oil pump is just as likely to last forever, and if you have good oil pressure I'd leave it alone, at least until your rear main goes and you have the pan off anyway. The fuel pump I would consider only if it is showing some sign of deterioration or unusual noise. The harmonic balancer I'd base on observation, but again, this is not something that is likely to fail suddenly.

I'd definitely keep an eye on all the universal joints, and of course routine things like the brakes and steering. I'd definitely do the serpentine belt as a periodic maintenance item, and check any belt idlers while at it. But I'm not an advocate of prophylactic replacement of unbroken parts as long as you keep on top of maintenance, and pay attention to what's happening as you drive.

Belt, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, have a shop flow test your injectors, heater/radiator hoses, brakes (pads, rotors/drums, properly bled, correct fluid level, no leaky caliper), check radiator for leaks, thermostat, 02 sensors...im sure there is stuff im forgetting

Some of those might sound obvious but popping a heater hose that was warn will put you up $H!# creek real quick if you don't have extra hose.

Brian
96 cherokee 4X4 4.0
65 mustang 347 5 speed

Replace your CPS before it goes out. That way you can carry the old one as a spare. If your CPS goes out and you have no spare, you're not going anywhere...

EDIT - Just realized that rhymes... Sorry if I caused and Dr. Seuss flashbacks.

Back