• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a sensor problem?

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
[font=&quot]For a long time my jeep has had this issue where it sometimes stumbles the very first time I really accelerate. It seems to be more prevalent when the weather is cold and wet. Is this a sensor problem?[/font][font=&quot] If so which one?[/font]

I've been having the same problem, is yours stick? I'll put it in gear and it'll feel like it's dying or stumbling until a certain RPM then it takes off...

[font=&quot]It is a stick. For me it often happens when I take off from the first stop sign a block away from work.[/font]

Yea for me it's usually after stopping at the top of my driveway after I take it out of 4WD, put it in gear and you know the rest.

I've got the same thing happening on my '98 with a 5 spd.

From I have gathered, there could be a couple things going on. First of, is the symptomatic fuel pump issue of the fule filter clogging. Seems this issue also creates some stumbling problems when making sharp turns with less than a 1/4 tank of gas.

Also tied into this is the affect (or lack there of) the O2 sensors have, particularly when they pass the 80k mile mark. Old sensors will send false signals to the PCM that have a tendenacy to make your XJ run richer. Fuel economy also takes a hit with this...

I personally am going to replace the fuel pump once the stumbling start getting worst. Right not I only experience the stumbling every so often. I'm going to replace the O2 sensors really soon, just for maintenance sakes, if nothing else.

So Ivan, are you saying your dose it other times than once after startup? Mine has only ever done it the first time I hit it after a cold start. Also if it were a fuel pump or filler wouldn’t it be a problem all the time not just a startup. I have other reasons to suspect my O2 sensor so I’ll see if a new one helps.

You have a couple options:
Fuel pump (not very likely-usually it will work or it won't)
Fuel Filter-when did you last replace it?
Fuel pressure regulator
Injectors
O2 sensor- this was the issue with my 96 with similar symptoms, at first the check engine light didn't come on, when it finally did, I took it to Auto Zone and they hooked it up to their comp and the o2 sensor before the cat was bad. Put a new one in, runs like new

Brian
96 cherokee 4X4 4.0
65 Mustang 347 5 speed

Back